Dog image from 123RF. Rope frame by MandaBean (no longer available). Font is Kristen ITC.
What books, magazines, and/or articles did I read this month?
- If you read nothing else that I post here, read this one. And have a tissue ready. Sweet. Sad. Beautiful. Radio Host Live Tweets His Mother’s Last Hours In Heartbreaking Tribute (Buzzfeed)
- The Pixar Theory: Every Character Lives in the Same Universe (Mashable)
- Stranded Dave Matthews hitches ride with fan to show (CNN)
- Scientists discover what’s killing the bees and it’s worse than you thought (QZ.com)
- To me, this just falls into the "duh" category! The Hole in Our Collective Memory: How Copyright Made Mid-Century Books Vanish (The Atlantic)
- 30 Abandoned Places That Look Truly Beautiful (Espression of Truth)
- 7 Mind-Blowing Disney Urban Legends (KISS El Paso)
* TV Time:Doesn't seem like we watched much at all, movies or TV. Major Crimes, Rizzoli & Isles, Perception, and Suits is about all that's on right now, and they're keeping us plenty busy.
* New Films: Monsters University (clever, but not as great as the first), The Lone Ranger (absolutely awful; I'm actually sorry I saw it), and Man of Steel (quite good, by far the best of the three we saw in the theater this month)
* Old Favorites: Sky High (showed it to L; not his first time, but he hasn't seen it in so long that he forgot everything), Jurassic Park, Backdraft (forgot what a good movie it is), Cars 2
What fun things did I do with my family and/or friends?
Celebrated my 15th wedding anniversary with a kid-free weekend in Jacksonville, which included this amazing deep dish pecan pie. Celebrated my birthday a little early by going out for a wonderful girls' weekend with a group of old friends, some I've known for over 10 years!
What gifts did I give and/or receive?
There were several little gifts given and received at our girls' weekend, but what happens within the pandemonium stays within the pandemonium! (Like a herd of cows or a flock of geese, a group of parrots is known as a pandemonium. We loved the term so much, we adopted it for our group!)
What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I bought a bunch of new summer work shirts, since none of the ones I had from last year fit! We also started on all kinds of wedding preparations, including a new outfit for Luke and a completely new head to toe outfit for me, including shoes and jewelry!
What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
None, really. The month went quite well overall in that respect. Nice for a change!
What new things and Pinterest pins I try this month?
I had my first first Philly cheesesteak while we were away on our anniversary trip. Quite tasty! Will definitely try one again. And after years of meaning to, I finally tried the chicken bake at Costco. Super yummy, and plenty to eat half and take the other half home. It reheated beautifully at work.
For Pinterest items and recipes, I tried one this month, and I completely neglected to mention one last week, so I'll do it here now. For this month, I tried some pecan pie muffins (recipe link; pin link). I thought they were good, but they tasted a lot like my Christmas cake recipe and not so much like pecan pie to me. Tasty, but not the taste I was after, if that makes sense.
Last month, I tried some Bisquick Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe link; pin link). I thought these were just okay. I prefer a chewier cookie, and these were more cakey. However, Luke absolutely loved them!
What were my accomplishments this month?
Click to biggify.
Honestly, making it through the month without gaining any weight is a huge accomplishment!
Don't faint, but I actually finished TWO cross stitch pieces this month. I know!! And I finally bought fabric I am happy with for the third of my three fairies in the series that I'm working on. Honestly, making it through the month without gaining any weight is a huge accomplishment!
What were Luke's accomplishments this month?
Luke seems to be enjoying his summer so far. He definitely enjoyed staying with Nana and Papa for a weekend while Mommy and Daddy ran away to Jacksonville. He pretty much got to eat wherever he wanted! I think my parents enjoyed it, too. We might have to try it more often! LOL
What were this month's disappointments or frustrations?
I'm sure there were some, but since I'm writing this over six weeks after the fact (oops), I can't really think of any. If they weren't bad enough to make it onto Facebook, Twitter, or my long term memory banks, then they can't have been that bad!
Anything else noteworthy to record?
The royal baby was born! His Royal Highness Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge was born on July 22.
In completely different news, I think it has rained absolutely all summer long! It hasn't been blue-blazing hot, which has been nice, but seriously, the rain and wet and lack of sun is starting to get very old. Maybe we can dry out some in August, especially for MIL's wedding?
Monthly Round Up concept courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady, tweaked by me.
Currently feeling: rounded up yet again