Thursday, May 15, 2014

2014 Summer Movie Preview


Copyright: borusikk / 123RF Stock Photo

This is the super-short version (sadly sans pictures), since I'm so late getting it out there. As always, this is not every film coming out this summer, just the ones that hold some interest for me.

May
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2) - Not feeling this one, but I'm sure we'll see it anyway. I suspect too many villains (same problem as the later Toby McGuire films).
  • Legends of OZ (May 9) - Animated, not too sure about this one. Others I'd rather see, but always keeping my eyes open for good kids' movies.
  • Godzilla (May 16) - I can't believe this is actually getting decent reviews. We are seriously considering making an effort to catch it in the theater.
  • Million Dollar Arm (May 16) - Interesting premise (bringing Indian cricket players to the US to play baseball), and we're suckers for a good sports movie.
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23) - We truly enjoyed First Class; hoping this one can live up with the blended cast.
  • Maleficent (May 30) - Yes, I'm excited! My favorite Disney character comes to life. Trying not to be irked about the lack of green fire in the previews.
June
  • Edge of Tomorrow (June 6) - Apocalyptic sci-fi Groundhog Day. I really like Emily Blunt, so we'll probably try to catch this one.
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 (June 13) - The sequel to one of our favorite movies. All three of us are excited about this one; definitely the only one Luke has expressed real interest in (well, besides Spider-Man, which is a big no for him).
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction (June 27) - Just not sure if we can do this one; the last one was SOOO bad. The only thing in its favor is Stanley Tucci, but even that isn't enough to drag us to the theater, I don't think.
July
  • Earth to Echo (July 4) - Don't know much about this one. Looks like maybe this generation's Goonies meets E.T.
  • Fast & Furious 7 (July 11 April 2015) - Christine reminded me that this got moved to April 2015, due to the death of Paul Walker. I hear they left Paul Walker in the movie, using CGI and stand-ins to fill in where needed. Can't believe they've made 7 of these! I think I saw 2 or 3.
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (July 18) - I actually enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes much more than I expected; not sure I'll make it to the theater for this one, but I'll see it at some point.
  • Jupiter Ascending (July 25) - Despite the fact that Channing Tatum makes me want to vomit, the premise is interesting, and it is a Wachowski Siblings film. We'll put it in the wait and see/definite maybe category.
  • Hercules (July 25) - I may not like Channing Tatum, but will admit to being a Dwayne Johnson fan. Toss in John Hurt, Ian McShane, and Joseph Fiennes, and how can this be anything but a hoot?! Like Scorpion King, I'm sure it would be much better if we caught the 1 AM showing! LOL
August
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (August 1) - Marvel is pushing out into deep space. Let's see how they do. The previews look like they might be trying a little too hard.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (August 8) - They're sure keeping a lid on this one, which is not generally a good sign. Can't really get a feel for it. Will play wait and see.
  • The Expendables 3 (August 15) - We haven't seen the first one yet, but they keep expanding the cast in new and fascinating ways, so it's worth a mention.
  • The Giver (August 15) - Interesting premise. In a "perfect" world, one boy is chosen to experience "real life." I'd like to see/hear more about this one.
That's all I've got. Let me know if I missed anything you are really looking forward to. See you at the movies!
Currently feeling: ready for some popcorn!

5 comments:

  1. I think Eath to Echo is Batteries Not Included for this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did A Million Ways to Die in the WEst NOT make your list? This movie has it all, great cast, great writer/director. I think that you are going to be missing out on this one and should go see it. Opens on May 30.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy is number one our "Must See In Theatre" list with Maleficent a very close second. X-Men is also a must. Hercules is a maybe and I hate to say it but while I love Jon Hamm, I'm not sure I can see Million Dollar Arm. I feel as though I'm in India every day I go to work....

    Channing does not make me vomit, so Jupiter Ascending will definitely be a theatre-showing for us ;)

    The rest are all small screen unless they get fabulous reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just FYI, Fast & Furious 7 won't be out until April 2015 due to Paul Walker's death and having to get his brothers to fill in for his remaining scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed X-Men OK, but none of those movies have really done it for me. I had one big problem with it which I won't mention since you may not have seen it yet. I had to LOL about Transformers...when we saw the preview (before X-Men), I leaned over and whispered to Michael, "Not even Stanley Tucci can save this movie."

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!