Monday, September 08, 2008

Evil new "easy but awesome" dessert

Easy But Awesome (TM) Desserts, those are my specialty. Actually, Easy But Awesome (TM) foods/meals in general are my specialty! LOL And I have a new one to add to my collection:

Turtle Pretzels. That's not what this recipe calls them, but that's surely what they taste like, and it is a much more useful descriptive name. Actually, a quick search of the site shows me this same recipe listed elsewhere and called Rolo Pretzel Turtles, but Kelly's recipe is the one I found first, so I'm giving her the credit. BTW, Rolos are small chocolate covered caramels, a little larger than 1 cubic cm each, for anyone who may not be familiar with them.

I decided to test these out before Luke's birthday party, along with two other variations (using M&Ms in place of pecans to press down on melted Hershey Kisses and Hugs). This one was by far the best version, IMO. (As in, I'm not even sure I'll bother with the others at the party.) And I'm going to have to send the rest of the test batch I made to work with DH, because I surely cannot keep my hands out of them. I have to tear myself away from the fridge every time I walk in the kitchen! LOL Hope you enjoy!




Turtle Pretzels
Source: Recipe Zaar Recipe #107408, modified slightly by Erin Gaston

Ingredients

small pretzels (original recipe called for mini-twists; I like grid-style)
bag of Rolo chocolate candy, unwrapped
pecan halves, one per Rolo

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 250°F
2. Place pretzels in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet (as few or as many as you like).
3. Put one Rolo on each pretzel, as centered as possible.
4. Put the Rolo/pretzels in the oven until the Rolos soften and start to melt (about 4 minutes for me). Note: Rolos will retain their shape, even when soft enough for the next step.
5. Remove from the oven and push one pecan half down in the middle of each Rolo.
6. Let cool. (I had to put them in the refrigerator to get them to set properly.)
7. Remove from the parchment and store in an air tight container. (I keep mine in the fridge.)
8. Best if removed from refrigerator a few minutes before serving to warm up slightly.

(Updated with photo; they looked so pretty all lined up in rows in my refrigerator.)

Currently feeling: yummy yummy

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...those look yummy! I wonder how they would taste if you sprinkled a little crushed Heath bar on top of the Rolos before squishing on the pecan...

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!