Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Accidental Shoplifter

I walked out of Wal-Mart last night holding a foam paintbrush that I did not pay for. In my defense, I was also holding my keys, my camera, and a notepad in my left hand, in addition to the brush. I couldn't hold the brush in my right hand because I had to also write with the pen in that hand. I didn't put the brush in my pocket because (here's irony for you) I didn't want to forget it was there and walk out without paying for it. ::snort:: I realized it as we got in the car and I was "unloading" my hands. I just stared at it for a minute, trying to figure out if it was worth taking it back in and paying for it. I knew it didn't even cost a dollar. But I also knew I would feel guilty about it for days or weeks, so I fished some change out of the dash and went back inside. As I re-entered the building, I made an immediate right to customer service to explain what had happened. "Thank you so much, ma'am, for being so honest! Most people would not have come back in to pay for it, especially something so inexpensive." I think I totally made her night! LOL She was just so genuinely surprised that I had bothered to come back. Hey, we're trying to buy and sell a house right now. I can use all the good karma I can get!

Currently feeling: terribly embarrassed

3 comments:

  1. I've done the same....I was trying on shoes when I discovered a magazine tucked under my arm. I couldn't easily leave the shoe shop so sent my sister back to pay for it and apologise profusely on my behalf! It's a horrible feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My absolute best accidental shoplifting story: I purchased $50 worth of books from a mall bookstore. The cashier who rang me up had similar tastes to mine, and we nattered on a bit, then she showed me a freebie of the first couple of chapters of a book. Left the bookstore, made it to the middle of Macy's, and stopped dead in my tracks, realizing I'd never actually paid for my bag of books! I went right straight back, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done that before too and knew the guilt would get me if I didn't correct it. Hope the good karma comes in handy in selling the house. :)

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!