Monday, April 05, 2010

Fanny Fatigue

I will now pause for all of my Australia and New Zealand friends to stop laughing (or blushing).** For purposes of this post, I am referring to my derriere!

If you're wondering why I haven't been posting much (or why it's been a month now and my Disney recap still isn't written, much less published), it's because I've spent the better part of the last month in my car! Okay, maybe not, but it sure feels that way. I've certainly spent a large portion of the last 5 weekends either driving or riding in a personal vehicle for hours and hours at a time. Allow me to summarize:

* March 3-7: Disney - 1000 miles (1609 km) total; 19 hours in the car
* March 12-14: "Off" (only incidental driving near home)
* March 19-21: Grandfather's Birthday - 700 miles (1127 km) total; 16 hours in the car
* March 25-28: Jacksonville, FL - 750 miles (1207 km) total; 15 hours in the car (less traffic, so fewer hours)
* April 2-5: Wake Forest, NC - 800 miles (1287 km) total; 15 hours in the car

If my calculations are correct, that makes for nearly 3250 miles (5230 km), not including incidental local driving (like from the hotel to Disney and back), totaling 65 hours in the car over the course of 4 weekends. To give you some perspective, I could drive all of the following for about the same number of miles (per Google Maps):
* In USA: Atlanta to Los Angeles to Seattle.
* In Australia: Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne to Perth.
* In Canada: Quebec City to Vancouver.
* In Europe: Seville to Paris to Rome.

Yes, my tush hurts! So do my hips and my tailbone. It was all for good stuff, so I really can't complain, and I am so happy I got to see everyone! But I am *so* tired of being in the car. And all of those little things that you take for granted that will get done over the weekend haven't happened either, like learning to use a brand new phone, or typing up a Disney recap (or blogging in general), or grocery shopping for more than essentials, or gee I don't know, maybe even *relaxing* a little bit (nah, no one would believe that one). I don't know what it is about traveling that is so tiring, but it is, even when literally all you are doing is sitting for hours and hours. I cannot even tell you how much I am looking forward to next weekend. Why? Because I have big plans:

I intend to stay at home and not leave for two whole days! That's actually harder than it sounds, given all the errands I still need to run. I'll also try to recap my Jacksonville (almost done with that one) and North Carolina weekends and *maybe* start working on those Disney write-ups. Wish me luck!

** For those unaware, the term "fanny" means something *entirely* different in Australia and New Zealand (likely other places, but I know there for sure) than it does in North America. Let's go with "female anatomy below the belt," and leave it at that. So, your international travel tip for the day: when traveling "down under," please do NOT refer to it as a "fanny pack"; call it a "bum bag" instead.

Currently feeling: tired of driving

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!