Sunday, June 24, 2012

Movie Muse Short: Brave


Image downloaded from Disney.com/Brave


Pixar's Brave. I have been waiting for two years to see this movie, ever since I started hearing the slightest rumors of a plot line coming from Disney. I love Disney *and* Pixar, and I couldn't wait to see what they would do with their first female protagonist, and a feisty redhead at that.

I've been debating for two days what I should say about this movie. Having seen it twice now, I'm really no closer to being able to fully articulate my thoughts on it, but I will give it a try. I liked it, it certainly wasn't bad. But it was not up to Pixar's usual standards, in my opinion. That said, there have been several Pixar films that I was originally a bit disappointed in that have grown on me over the years such that I now love and adore them (Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo immediately spring to mind), so that isn't necessarily my final word on Brave, but my initial impression is being rather underwhelmed.

I will say that it is rarely a good sign when I can walk out of the theater (the first time) and think of at least three ways the film could have been much better right off the top of my head. Again, I stress, the film is not bad! It's actually much better than many films I've seen, recently even. But it was more Disney than Pixar, and some of the humor veered into territory that Pixar (and Disney, generally speaking) has thus far avoided, and I am especially wondering why they suddenly felt the need to "go there." This is a Disney/Pixar, not a DreamWorks! Keep it classy, people. The film itself is stunningly beautiful, though. Everything is absolutely lush and gorgeous (except when it shouldn't be, and then it is perfectly desolate). I don't think all the pieces of the film fully meshed, but again, it is far from a bad movie. Do be on time, please, as the short that precedes it (La Luna) is phenomenal! Typical Pixar, and absolutely wonderful. We did not see it in 3D either time, so I can't speak to that. (We're saving that extra $3.50 per person to see Finding Nemo in 3D in September.)

As far as whether or not to take the kids, I would definitely say it depends on the kids, their ages, and what they can tolerate. For my rather sensitive 7yo son, it was borderline too intense in some places. (Leah, it is *definitely* a no for G, since she doesn't handle peril well.) Even Luke himself said "I liked it, but it was scary sometimes." I know he cleared the seat at one point, nearly jumping out of his skin, and at exactly the point in the film that concerned me. I don't think it was too scary for him (time will tell tonight, I suppose), but it was right on the threshold. It also tells me I was right to withhold other films from him to this point (like The Neverending Story); he's just not ready. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of 7 year olds, and even plenty of 4 year olds, who could handle it just fine. You know your children, so you decide, but know that the film is rated PG, and deservedly so. Not for any language, but for "intense action sequences, peril, and some violence" (those are my words, not a quote from anywhere). The violence isn't bloody, but it is there, if that concerns you. Tread carefully if your children are young and/or sensitive.

There is a coda/stinger after the credits, so stay all the way through if that interests you.

Updated: As of about 9:30 PM, Luke has been up twice after being put to bed, admitting the second time that "sometimes when I see a scary movie, I'm scared to sleep." ::sigh::  I guess my being "overprotective" about what movies he sees isn't unwarranted. It's going to be a long night, likely several of them.

Currently feeling: underwhelmed, but still enjoyed it

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the advice, Erin! My girlie would definitely be unhappy with the peril involved. I suspected that with the PG rating, but I appreciate your insight and 'screening' :-)

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!