Saturday, April 01, 2006

101 Things in 1001 Days


by Blinkie Obsession


I saw this on Joy's blog, and I thought it was a fantastic idea! Way better than New Year's Resolutions to me; I don't know why. The expanded timeframe, perhaps? Or the fact that I tried really hard to pick things that will require some effort, but I also tried not to set myself up for failure (like "lose 100 pounds" or "eat a fruit and vegetable every day"). Yes, some are easier than others, and some are more fun than others, but that's okay.

And for the record, it took me about 3 days to come up with 101 things. I got the first 50 or so pretty easily. The next 40+ took quite a bit of thought, and those last few (somewhere in the 5-10 range) nearly killed me! LOL The categories shown here are of my own choosing for organization purposes; you don't have to categorize. Anyway, here we go, and I'll try to update my progress every month or so (but notice I didn't make that one of my items).

101 Things in 1001 Days

The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria: Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).


Begin Date: April 1, 2006
End Date: December 27, 2008 (might make it Jan 1, 2009, just for the heck of it)

Personal
1. See a dermatologist to have my moles checked.
2. Take a multivitamin every day for 30 consecutive days (hopefully becoming a habit after that).
3. Give blood.
4. Don't eat "fast food" (McD's, Wendy's, etc) for 30 days.
5. Try at least one new recipe per month.
6. Learn to make a pork dish.
7. Learn to make a fish dish.
8. Learn to make a shrimp dish.
9. Learn to make cheesecake (using a springform pan and everything).
10. Learn to make something involving yeast (I have never had a yeast recipe turn out correctly).
11. Learn to make something involving kneading (I have no idea how to knead).
12. Learn some CSS.
13. Revamp my website (changing the graphics *does* count).
14. Revamp my blog template (just changing the graphics does *not* count).
15. Rejoin the workforce (or try; whether or not I get hired isn't necessarily up to me).
16. Start going to church again (defined: attend services 3 Sundays a month for 3 consecutive months).
17. Attend a Catholic mass (I am Protestant, but I've always wanted to go to Mass).
18. Stop cussing; I'm really not bad, but I tend to cuss while driving, and Luke is usually with me (defined: no cussing for 30 days).
19. Call Connie (my best friend) every 6 months.
20. Call Sandy (a friend I greatly miss seeing) every 6 months and try to plan a time to get together.
21. Post comments to at least 3 blogs each week (barring out of town trips, power or computer failure, or a truly serious life issue).
22. Blog at least twice each week (barring out of town trips, power or computer failure, or a truly serious life issue).
23. Send at least one RAK, even if just a card, every 3 months.
24. Have our friends over at least once a year.
25. Go out by myself once a month.
26. Get a pedicure.
27. Get a "real" haircut and style.
28. Buy new undergarments (my current ones are ancient).
29. Wear jewelry once a month (besides the earrings and wedding band that I *always* wear).
30. Primp for a date with DH once every 3 months, including make-up.
31. Find a new shade of lipstick I like (currently only 2 I like, and I've been wearing them for years).

Family
32. Move to a better school district, or have a firm plan in place to do so.
33. Have new family portraits made.
34. Print some photos of Luke and put them in an album (currently, they're all digital only).
35. Go on vacation with my whole family (husband, child, parents, brother).
36. Get away with my husband, just the two of us, once a year.
37. Use the china and crystal at least once a year.
38. Decide if or when we want another baby.
39. Make a will.
40. Bug my family (husband, parents, brother) until each person also has a will.
41. Have DH's cousin and family over for dinner.
42. Visit BIL at his new house (whenever it gets finished being built).
43. Decorate Luke's room when he moves to a "big boy bed."
44. Take Luke to Walt Disney World (he's already been, but we want him to be old enough to enjoy it).
45. Take Luke to a baseball game.
46. Take Luke to the beach (as in down on the sand and water, not just the pier or boardwalk).

Financial
47. Restore our savings account to the amount we agreed.
48. Start a Roth IRA.
49. Start a college fund for Luke.
50. Roll over my 401(k).
51. Buy a new vacuum.
52. Buy new dining room chairs (and maybe a table).
53. Buy a new mixer (preferably a stand mixer, but a new hand mixer would be fine).
54. Replace my ruby earrings (I recently lost one).
55. Start taking the Sunday paper and using the grocery coupons.

Fun
56. Eat Japanese (Hibachi) at least once a year.
57. Go to an NBA game (the only major US pro sport I'm missing; baseball, football, and hockey I've done).
58. Go to the symphony (I've never been; I know, it's sad).
59. Attend a cultural event at least once a year (symphony, opera, ballet, theater, etc).
60. Visit the farmer's market every 3 months.
61. Visit a museum once a year.
62. Visit an Asian market.
63. Go to the Georgia Renaissance Festival.
64. Go to the Georgia Aquarium.
65. Visit Arizona.
66. Visit Texas again.
67. Visit another country (Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, Europe, Australia, doesn't matter).
68. Average reading a book a month (12 per year).
69. Read a graphic novel (suggestions anyone?).
70. Read one non-fiction book per year.
71. Read one of Shakespeare's sonnets every month.
72. Average seeing a new movie each month (12 per year; theater, DVD, or television).
73. See all "Best Picture" Oscar nominees before the telecast if possible (they may not play here, and I won't do horror or gory films).
74. Watch Firefly (the series, probably borrowed from Ginny since she offered).
75. Host a stitching get-together at my house.
76. Start stitching again (defined: 5 hours per week for 3 consecutive months).
77. Finish A Midsummer Night's Fairy (been a WIP for at least 5 years).
78. Finish my beaded strawberry fob (again; I gave my first one away, then restarted it before Luke was born).
79. Make a temari every 6 months, each one a different pattern.
80. Get cards for Christmas alphabet scrapbooks organized.
81. Make at least one Christmas alphabet scrapbook a year.
82. Re-learn to crochet and make an afghan for Luke.
83. Take a beginning quilting class.
84. Learn to set up the sewing machine and sew a straight seam.
85. Make a quilt for Luke (I already have the fabric).
86. Ride a new roller coaster.
87. Learn a new card game.
88. Learn to juggle (I gave DH a learning kit for Christmas; defined: juggle 3 balls for 1 minute).

Miscellaneous
89. Correct my Social Security information (just found out part of it is wrong).
90. Renew my passport.
91. Get a copy of my own birth certificate.
92. Back up the computers every 6 months (at least).
93. Burn digital photos to CD every 6 months.
94. Try Firefox (the browser).
95. Update DH's wardrobe matrix (don't ask) every year.
96. Have our foundation inspected.
97. Get my bedroom tidy and organized.
98. Clean out my drawers and closet; get rid of clothes I don't wear.
99. Box up the clothes Luke has outgrown.
100. Frame my Disney lithograph that has been sitting in the closet for over a year.
101. When 1001 days are up, update this list, then make a new list, including carrying over any of these not completed. :-)

Currently feeling: accomplished

4 comments:

  1. Nice to have you onboard too :D

    It is fun, I'm like you, I don't do New Year's Resolutions and this seems much better.

    Oh and I have a cheesecake recipe that is yummy and needs no cooking if you'd like it...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That's quite a list! You've got more ambition than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: #10 - There's a good reason bread makers were invented. The results are worth it though.

    And I've sent you an e-mail with some of my favourite (and easy) pork, fish and shrimp recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you, I am making a list too. Won't posted it anywhere because then I'll be obligated to start doing things haha. Am still short 10 items (any ideas for fun things to do??).

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!