Thursday, September 03, 2009

Photo of a Cliche

I called my father this evening to wish him a happy birthday. DH was washing dishes, the washing machine was going, and I was concentrating on my conversation. I heard what I thought was a scream, but I had no idea where it had come from. DH had apparently heard it, too, and turned off the running water. By then, there was silence. A few seconds later, we heard another scream, this time intertwined with crying, and we realized it was coming from Luke!

Luke was upstairs in his room, supposedly getting changed for bed. All I could figure is that he had jumped/fallen somehow and hurt himself. I was half-right. DH had opened the next to top drawer of the chest of drawers (at about head height for Luke) so Luke could pick out his pajamas and underpants. Luke likes to play a little when he gets changed, which is fine, so DH comes down stairs to do small domestic things while we wait. Apparently, Luke bent down to do something near the chest of drawers and forgot the drawer was open. As he raised up, he caught his face on the corner of the drawer. I'm sure at that point, he reflexively jerked his head back, but he was still raising up to a standing position, so the corner also caught him in the center of his bare chest, right on his sternum. I couldn't get a good photo of the scrape on his chest, but it was a patch about 1x2 inches (3x5 cm) in size, and just as red as it could be. No blood, just several layers of scraped skin. His face was not so lucky:



Though all things considered, the damage could have been *so* much worse! Now, normally this would be the end of the story, and I may not have even bothered to tell it other than to caption the photo for Project 365. Why is this story worthy of capturing for posterity? For the most cliched reason in the world. What day inevitably follows the occurrence of child facial injuries? It's so cliche, it has to be true: tomorrow is school picture day. Now we can forever recall the details of why his face is scraped in his Pre-K photos. It will be a fun story to tell his future spouse.

Currently feeling: bemused at such cliched timing

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!