Wednesday, October 28, 2009

ENT Update: More talk of more tubes

Big sigh. Luke had another ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor) appointment today. Once again, we hoped this would be the last visit, and once again, we were told he has fluid on his ears that is (or is about to be) infected and is clearly causing a hearing problem this time around (something I noticed a few weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if it was really a hearing issue or an "I'm 5 years old and I'm not listening" problem). We've been doing this for over a year by now. If we were just going to have to do a second set of tubes (grommets), I would have rather done it a year ago and been done with it rather than to keep putting it off until it will now interfere with school. I know it's just Pre-K, but still, we could have done it over the summer or something. And I know they were trying to avoid another surgery for him, but if it was looking so much like they would have to do it, I would just rather have it done and be done with it than to have dragged it out for another year-plus.

And it's not just a second set of tubes. Oh no, it couldn't possibly be that easy. In cases where the problem is chronic fluid on the ears leading to hearing difficulties, they "almost always" (her words) take out the adenoids as well. Putting in tubes? The thought doesn't phase me. Taking a knife and hacking away bits of my kid, particularly inside his head? I have to admit to being a wee bit phased. They won't be taking his tonsils (absolutely no history of tonsillitis or strep throat), and she insists that adenoid removal is "less than 10% of the recovery of a tonsillectomy," but I still don't like it. But if it means we can finally be done with this nonsense, then I'm all for it.

It is possible we'll go back for a recheck in 3 weeks (after yet another round of antibiotics and antihistamine nasal spray). They will also do a full hearing screening. If everything comes back clear (no fluid on the ears and a normal hearing screen), then it is possible they will again put it off, but you know what? I'd really rather not, if that's where they think we'll end up anyway. I'm really just ready to be done with it. We'll know more in a few weeks.

Currently feeling: frustrated

1 comment:

  1. *hugs* Poor Luke. I hope you get it sorted out soon. If it was me, I'd rather have it done with too!

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!