Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Musing on Movies - September 20, 2005

This week's Musing on Movies meme.

Remaking old TV series into movies is all the rage right now. What is the best small-to-big screen adaptation you have seen? What is the worst? Is there one that you liked, even if it didn't follow the original series at all? What TV show deserves the "big screen" treatment? Who would you cast?

Does Star Trek count? It's not a recent example, but it is probably one of the best, both simply in quality (well, some of them at least) and in terms of being an adaptation. Though they may not count in the spirit of the question, since they did use the actual cast from the show for the film; more a continuance than an adaptation, per se. For the record, my favorite Star Trek films are IV: The Voyage Home (whales), First Contact (VIII, though they'd stopped numbering them by then), and II: The Wrath of Khan, in that order.

Um, following the spirit of the question, I'm not sure I've seen a big screen adaption of a television show. Let me think for a bit. ::checks her list of movie reviews:: Oh, The Powerpuff Girls. It was pretty cute. I hadn't seen much of the television show, but again, I'm still not sure that counts. Again, it is an extension, not an adaptation in the way that, say, the recent Dukes of Hazzard was (which I have flatly refused to see, BTW). Maybe I haven't seen one? How odd! I never would have guessed. I'm actually a bit embarrassed! LOL Guess none of the recent adaptations have interested me enough to actually watch one. What does that say about their quality? Hmmm....

What show would I adapt for television? I can't really think of one, mainly because (as mentioned above) I have been so disappointed with the looks of the recent ones. Just like my perception of what happened to the Dukes of Hazzard, I'm afraid that the spirit of the show would be lost in favor of crudity and humor at the *expense* of the show. Adaptations should honor the shows they are based on, not degrade them. I would not choose to subject any of my favorite programs to such blasphemy.
Currently feeling: unimpressed

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!