Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My favorite flicks

Guess I should actually participate in my own meme, eh? LOL

Musing on Movies - September 13, 2005

What are some of your all-time favorite movies? Why are they your favorites? What are some of your *least* favorite movies? Why don't you like them?

You would think this would be an incredibly easy question, but it's just not! Not for me, at least. Well, the least favorite part is pretty easy, but the favorite part is not. There are just so many! I have a favorite movie for every mood, every genre, ones I think are excellent but don't watch often, ones I watch over and over and over even if they aren't cinematic gems. Let me see if I can narrow the field somewhat.

THE BEST OF THE BEST

* The Princess Bride - a fractured fairy tale, always good for a smile
* Jurassic Park - still amazes me visually, I love the dialog, and I still get a small thrill seeing actual "live" dinosaurs after they fascinated me so as a child
* I'm a Disney freak! - And a Pixar lover, for that matter. Ones I watch most frequently are: Sleeping Beauty, The Emperor's New Groove, Toy Story, and The Incredibles (and Finding Nemo, because Luke adores it)
* Pirates of the Caribbean - How can you not love this movie? Holds my personal record for most times seen in the theater (8)
* Funny Face - needed to get a classic in here, and how can you get much more classic than Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn
* "True" Classics - speaking of classics, how could I not mention Indiana Jones (any of them) and Star Wars; both films are practically part of my DNA
* Apollo 13 - I find this movie just incredibly compelling, and once you throw in Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise, and Ed Harris, that makes it just about perfect
* Dead Poets Society - falls into the "favorite but don't watch it often" category, but I truly love this movie since it really made a difference in my life
* Shakespeare in Love - makes my heart sing, despite the ending, plus always good for a laugh
* Playing By Heart - my favorite movie that no one has ever heard of, I am just fascinated by the characters, the actors, and the way it all turns out in the end

THE NOT SO HOT

* Mullholland Falls - *not* Mullholland Drive (which I have never seen), this movie had Nick Nolte, Chazz Palminteri, Melanie Griffith, and John Malkovitch. I was just so disappointed in this film, mainly because it should have been *much* better.
* Hulk - What a stinker! It was just awful. My brother even warned me, but my husband *insisted* on seeing it (in the theater, no less). Even he agrees that it was awful.
* 3000 Miles to Graceland - I only made it through about 30 minutes of this movie before turning it off. I should have known better than to try to watch a David Arquette movie.
* Pulp Fiction - Sorry folks, I thought this movie was awful, mainly from a story perspective. Ew, ick, why do you want to watch that? And I'm even more disturbed by the people who find it funny. It was so not funny, it was horrible.
* Turn-off actors (and directors) - there are very few movies I would even *consider* seeing that involve any of the following people: Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller (though I did like Keeping the Faith), or Tim Roth. Quentin Tarantino has not made any movies that interested me enough to watch (saw Pulp Fiction with a friend, her night to choose), and I don't care for most Tim Burton films either (Big Fish and Beetlejuice excepted).

Currently feeling: movied

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!