Thursday, November 01, 2007

October 2007 Round Up

Monthly Round Up idea borrowed from Katie the Scrapbook Lady.


Credit: Pinky Blinkies


What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
I discovered Atlanta Parent magazine this month at the speech therapy office. It is one of those free publications that you cannot subscribe to, you can only pick up at various places around the city. Pretty interesting, though; all sorts of tips for things to do. (Did that effectively hide the fact that I didn't read anything at all? What is wrong with me?!! Oh yeah, I've been watching Heroes and new fall shows.)

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
One new one of each for the month. Deja Vu was excellent. It came highly recommended by a trusted source, and it did not disappoint. Hey, it kept my father awake until nearly midnight; now that's saying something!

We also finally started watching Heroes, and I cannot say enough good things about it! We are both completely hooked. We've finished Season 1 on DVD, and as anxious as we are to get caught up with the season 2 episodes on the DVR, neither of us is looking forward to having to watch it in real time. Waiting a week between episodes and having to sit through commercials? What a drag!! LOL We have intentionally *not* watched the three most recent episodes on the DVR so we don't have to watch episodes in real time just yet.

What special days did I celebrate and how?
Luke's third birthday! And trick-or-treating at the mall for Halloween. He loved his costume this year. As in, I had to hide it after we tried it on in mid-October because he didn't understand why he couldn't wear it all the time every day. This is the same doggie costume he screamed and cried about and refused to wear last year. It was sized 2T-4T, so I held on to it, hoping it would still fit this year. It did, but just barely.

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Birthday gifts for Luke, mainly Star Wars Galactic Heroes and some Blue's Clues books from us. Mailed cards to various October birthday folks and a couple of Halloween cards. And if I don't get on the ball and start planning and purchasing some baby gifts for the 5 (is that all? seems like more) little bundles of joy that will be making their debuts in the next six months or so, I'm going to be in trouble!

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
We were doing pretty well until mid-month, when all three of us came down with sniffles and a fever for a few days. Took Luke to the doctor on a Thursday when his cough became increasingly worse, only to be told he was fine. He wasn't. Ended up with a double ear infection appearing late Friday, but had to wait until Monday to be seen for antibiotics. You can imagine how happy that made me. And now DH and I are still trying to recover from whatever cold caused Luke to be so sick in the first place. Fun.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
We had a small birthday party for Luke, just us, my parents, brother, my grandmother, and my uncle. We also took Luke to the Atlanta Parent Block Party, where he got to ride a small train, pet some animals, and see a firetruck.

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
Tried a blueberry muffin recipe that was supposed to be the best ever, but I just found it to be okay. Not bad, but not worth all the trouble of muffins from scratch (at least, not this particular recipe; still looking, though). Also tried a German Chocolate Brownie recipe that everyone raved about, but I was a little disappointed in. I think it may just need more nuts, though. Worth trying again, I think. I have already started planning the Christmas week menu! Haven't gotten very far yet (mainly just getting a handle on exactly how many meals I'm going to need), but if I don't start now, it will never be ready in time.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
Luke's three year portraits, which are very special to this family. See the shirt he is wearing below? My grandmother made that shirt. She actually made matching ones and had photos taken of my father and his brother when my father was around age 3. As my brother neared age 3, Granny gave the shirt to my mother, so he was photographed in the same shirt. Luke is the third generation of Warren to wear this now 50-year-old shirt (I'm sure my father appreciates me pointing that out), and I fully intend to save it for his children. When we next visit my parents, I hope to get scans of the photos of my father and my brother so I can show you.


We also got new cell phones (along with a 2-year renewal of our contract, of course). I just got the latest and greatest version of my old phone, since we actually had to pay for mine (well, minus the $50 rebate). Mine is the LG 8350 flip phone with a 1.3 megapixel camera, which (sad to say) was a big criteria of mine. DH applied our $100 upgrade credit towards the purchase of an LG Chocolate phone in blue, and boy, is it purdy! LOL I really don't like the touch wheel on it. Clearly, it is not designed for people with large fingers. Maybe the sensitivity is too high for my liking (not my phone, so it is set the way DH wants with his tiny fingers), but I find it more frustrating than useful. Looks way cool, though! DH also finally got new jeans and work pants, since his others were literally falling apart.

Also purchased mattresses for a "big boy bed" on October 31, but since I am not actually in possession of said mattresses just yet, and the bed won't be set up until November, I'll save that to post next month (with pictures!).

What were this month's disappointments?
That my grandmother didn't get to see her only great-grandson wearing the shirt she made for her younger son. ::sniff:: Finding out we most likely need our entire kitchen floor replaced due to mold. Haven't started on that project yet. I know we need to, I just haven't had the time between Luke home sick from daycare for almost a week followed by the sleep issues. The return of Luke's sleeping (or going to bed) issues have been incredibly frustrating for everyone. We also had to skip a barbecue/pumpkin carving party, since Luke was sick. That was a real bummer. We usually miss most activities with our group of friends because they usually get together in the evenings after Luke is in bed. I know they were having it early in the afternoon so that the few of us with young children could attend, and then we had to miss it! Waaahhh.

What were my accomplishments this month?
Technically, it didn't happen this month, but it wasn't until this month that I realized that I have scrapped over 100 layouts! It is actually approaching 125 right now. For some reason, I find that rather amazing. I've been scrapping for 18 months (hard to believe). Oh, and I have already finished 9 pages of this year's CD calendar. According to a trusted source, they are looking fabulous! And I quite agree, even if I do say so myself.

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?
He is officially 3 years old! (Or should that be listed under my accomplishments, since I managed not to kill him before he made it this far? Whoever said "I don't know why they call it the 'terrible twos' when the threes are so much worse!" wasn't kidding. And he hasn't even been 3 for a month. sigh) His talking is noticeably better, enough so that even we have noticed. Still pretty much nothing on the potty training front, which means he is still in the two-year-old class and will be for the foreseeable future. Given that all of the "new twos" are a minimum of six months younger than he is, probably more, (everyone else anywhere near his age is older and potty trained, thus now in the three's class) he is almost regressing.

Anything else noteworthy to record?
Heard from my hopefully soon-to-be-again boss and things still seem to be on track for her to hire me in late Nov/early Dec. Guess we'll find out for sure in a month or so.

Currently feeling: fallish

2 comments:

  1. Those are really cute photos Erin :) And what a completely timeless shirt - you can't tell it's 50 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tradition! You must scrap this.
    I totally hear you on the 'Terrible threes'. I thought I was lucky that I didn't have to deal with the terrible twos much. Not anymore LOL!

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!