Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 2010 Round Up


Click mosaic to biggify. Created using Big Huge Labs Mosaic Maker.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
Read The Exile, by Diana Gabaldon, my first graphic novel. It was just okay. I found it difficult to keep the different people straight based on the images. They looked too much alike, to me. Particularly with Diana Gabaldon, where part of the fun of reading her is the rich detail provided in words, it just didn't feel like a Gabaldon when it was missing all of that descriptive language.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
* TV Time: Fall shows have returned! We're trying out three new shows this year: The Event (not loving it), Law and Order: Los Angeles (love Alfred Molina, first episode was good, will try it for a while), and The Whole Truth (for a decade now, my husband has been saying "they need a lawyer show that shows the prosecution's case, the defense's case, the trial, and the verdict before showing whether or not the defendant did it"; this is that show). And then there are the usual suspects: Dancing With the Stars, Chuck, Rules of Engagement, Castle, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, Criminal Minds, CSI, The Mentalist, and CSI:NY.
* New Films: Renaissance (visually intriguing, just okay story), Sunshine Cleaning (not my usual thing, but I like Amy Adams; it was okay), The Absent-Minded Professor (the classic movie, very cute, quite enjoyed it), Planet 51 (very blah; should have been fun(ny) and interesting, but I found it boring), The Wonder of It All (very good documentary on the Apollo missions featuring the astronauts who walked on the moon), M. Butterfly (I love Jeremy Irons and will watch him in nearly anything, though I can't overly recommend this one in particular), All That Jazz (either I am not artistic enough or I lack the illegal drugs required to really "get" this movie)
* Old Favorites: Julie & Julia, The Incredibles, WALL-E, The Fifth Element, Bolt, The Incredibles, Up, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Princess Bride

What special days did I celebrate and how?
We celebrated my father's birthday, with cake even!

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
We surprised my father with his 60th birthday gift (a year early). Also sent photo prints of the Saturday and Sunday family Labor Day visits.

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Fall allergies are in full swing, but we're managing. Luke had a reaction to a new brand of sunscreen during his first soccer game, but it cleared up with Benadryl. DH broke his right ring finger playing basketball and will be in a splint for at least 2 months, maybe more. Likely no return to basketball before next year. Needless to say, he is *very* unhappy about this. I am trying not to worry about Luke's loose tooth. It's been loose for over a month now, but it still hasn't come out. The adult tooth is already mostly in behind it. If it doesn't come out shortly, I'll have to call the dentist to see what we should do.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
We visited both DH's family and mine over Labor Day. It was so great to see everyone! Also went to a bead show with my mom.

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
I knew something had avocado in it, I tried it anyway, and I actually liked it! (Didn't love it, but liked it fine.) The Avocado Egg Rolls at The Cheesecake Factory. Hey, it's fried; that can make anything better.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
Finally got Luke's birthday supplies ordered, and a special surprise for him, but I will reveal it next month when we give it to him.

What were this month's disappointments?
We lost two local restaurants this month. The Loop Pizza Grill closed suddenly and unexpectedly, which was the closest non-fast food restaurant to us that we liked. Then our favorite chinese place changed owners. Prices went up, taste and quality went down. We won't be back, and the other close chinese place is about comparable on taste and quality. Guess we'll have to find a new one, which isn't as easy as it sounds. (I'm a little picky, in case you haven't noticed.)

What were my accomplishments this month?
12. Read 15 books, at least one non-fiction. Added book #7 to the list, which also knocked off 16. Read a graphic novel (counts towards 15). Love those two for one items! I really did intend to read a more traditional manga style graphic novel; I had no idea Diana Gabaldon would be releasing a graphic novel at the time! But hey, it counts.

Also 9. Start applying for a new job. I guess it is technically not a new job, just a new version of my old job, but the intent of putting the item on the list was to find a job where I would no longer be a contractor, and by now being a full time employee, that was taken care of. And I *did* have to apply for the position, so I am counting it as complete.

And, I am officially a soccer mom! Not that I think I'm doing a very good job of it. Adding soccer to the schedule has really thrown me for a loop. By the time I get a satisfactory schedule worked out and we settle into it, soccer will be over until spring!

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?

I'm sensing a theme with this month's weekly photos! LOL



Luke's reading is improving, though it is not yet what I would consider actual reading. But improvement is good enough for now. His first 6 weeks progress report was very good, and his teacher was very complimentary at our first conference. He also started playing soccer, which he really seems to enjoy. It is a good group of kids (and parents), and the coach is great; just the kind of coach Luke needs.

Anything else noteworthy to record?
September 16 marked 100 days until Christmas! I know I'm not ready. Are you?

Monthly Round Up courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady.

Currently feeling: rounded up

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!