Saturday, January 21, 2012

Living in the Future

A few days ago, I was sitting in my den, surfing the web wirelessly on a laptop about the size of a magazine, wearing bluetooth headphones and listening to music streaming from the Amazon cloud to my husband's smart phone in the kitchen. I was struck quite suddenly by the fact that I am, in some ways, living in the future I imagined when I was a child. What an awesome thing!

Then today, I found a Buzzfeed article summarizing some 1901 predictions of what life would be like in 2001 (the article title incorrectly says 1911-2011, but the first paragraph clearly states "before the dawn of 2001 - a century from now"). The 1901 author spoke with various experts of the era, and most of the ideas are eerily accurate! Some, not so much (what I wouldn't give for mosquitoes and roaches to be extinct!), but on the whole, the article is much more correct than not. I would love for someone to recreate the article for present day (with genuine credible experts, not the most far-fetched outrageous headline-grabbing predictions to be found) and save a copy for my great-grandchildren. I wonder what they would think of our predictions?

Currently feeling: ready for a transporter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!