Thursday, October 16, 2008

Romeo and Ethel, The Pirate's Daughter

I thought about "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet," but this title was way more fun! LOL It comes from Shakespeare in Love (one of my favorite movies) for anyone scratching their heads about it. And for those really interested, it seems someone has rebuilt this "lost masterpiece". I'll have to read it when I have time. Ahem! Let's get this entry back on track, shall we?

The actual point of this post is titles. Blog entry titles, to be specific. I was reading a blog somewhere recently where the author complained about having to think up a title for every post. (Thanks, Melissa! It was Cheryl's blog, which I didn't know she had until this week. You might need to be a Yuku member and/or a "friend" of hers to read it, though.) I actually enjoy that part of the process, maybe a little too much. Sure, most of my titles are plain and boring and obvious, but I'd like to think that a few of them are occasionally at least a *little* bit clever, maybe bringing a smile to the face of my readers. Many times, the title is just functional, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm thinking of ones like "September 2008 Round-Up" or "Happy 4th Birthday to Luke." Certainly nothing wrong with those, I don't think. But I always get a little thrill when the just perfect title comes to me, like "Abbreviated." I thought of all kinds of titles for that post: Mommy and Daddy No More, Introducing Mom and Dad, I Guess We're Growing Up Too, I Don't Need to Be Any Shorter. They just weren't doing it for me. I actually thought on it for a while, but it finally hit me. I knew when I broke out into a big grin that it was the right one.

So, all you other bloggers out there, talk to me! Do you put thought into the titles of your posts, or do you just go with the first thing that comes to mind? Is thinking up titles something you enjoy, or do you wish you could just go without a title sometimes?
Currently feeling: well titled

4 comments:

  1. That was Cheryl's blog where she was bemoaning the need to always create a title. The problem with my titles, is they are often obscure song lyrics, and no one gets them but me. LOL Mine are usually simple and informative, not clever. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do both--sometimes I think up a clever title ("He calls for mom, and sucks his thumb" was pretty cute IMO), and other times it is just boring (Baxter at two weeks). I guess it depends on how much sleep I got before I started the post:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do both, it depends on my mood and the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Titles are hard for me occasionally. Sometimes I come up with the perfect one when I start writing the blog - as in, that's the first thing I do is input the title.

    More often it's that I put something in, write the blog, re-read it for context or adjustment, and then I re-title it because something *better* comes up.

    Lately, though, I think I've been missing the mark on the titles.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!