Saturday, July 17, 2010

Antique Shopping

I've been antique shopping for many years. I don't consciously remember when I started visiting various shops with my mom. The first time I clearly recall doing it was during a trip to Savannah; that was probably 20 years ago (sorry Mom! LOL). Sometime in there, I started a small collection of Wades and Rodney Kent aluminum, and over the years, I have amassed a quite decent sized collection of USA Bicentennial memorabilia. Mom and I used to visit antique shops a few times a year, but strangely, that seemed to stop, oh, about 6 years ago. I can't *imagine* what caused that! LOL

So while my parents were here the weekend of July 17th, Mom and I visited the famous Chamblee Antique Row in northeastern Atlanta. It may well have been my first antiquing trip in 6 years. We only made it to one (large!) shop, but we had a great time. It is so much fun just to see all of the beautiful old things, even if you aren't buying anything. I always keep my eyes open for new Bicentennial stuff, and I did pick up a few new Frankoma plates for my collection, but I have a small collection of random other things that catch my fancy. I've always loved carnival glass, but much of it is expensive. But as soon as I spotted this sweet little cup, I desperately wanted it.



Thankfully, it was reasonably priced! LOL In fact, it was quite inexpensive. I don't collect things because they are valuable or because I think they'll be worth something someday. I buy them because I like them and they make me smile.



This is a punch cup, from the Orange Peel pattern family, and I am completely smitten with it. I have two glass shelves running across the window above my kitchen sink. I've been thinking that a collection of various glass objects would look quite beautiful up there. The first piece to claim a spot on the shelf was the housewarming/Christmas gift from Charisse. I think this little cup makes an excellent addition to the collection. I wonder what the next piece will be?



Currently feeling: shiny

1 comment:

  1. I love the glass, but I too am partial to carnival glass. I have a stunning (to me at least) green carnival glass deviled egg dish that I bought simply because it caught me eye and I could not get it out of my head. I think it is a pineapple pattern of some kind. I don't even like deviled eggs, and I don't know that I would ever use the dish for that--but it looks gorgeous on my table! Sometime, I want to see a picture of the shelves in your kitchen, hint hint.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!