Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 2010 Round Up


Click mosaic to biggify. Created using Big Huge Labs Mosaic Maker.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
Finished My Life in France, by Julia Child, which I really and truly enjoyed. Also started and finished Julie & Julia, by Julie Powell, which was interesting and sometimes funny, but I didn't enjoying it overall quite as much as My Life in France. (And I am so impressed with myself for starting and finishing a book in the same month! LOL)

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
* TV Time: Started watching a few new shows. American Pickers on History, which is a couple of guys who hunt through junk yards looking for "rusty gold" as they call it, finding stuff people have forgotten about, buying it, cleaning it up, and reselling it. Very interesting to see what they find, and how some things may not be worth much in the area where they're found, but can be worth a good deal in other parts of the country. The Closer is back on TNT, which we love. It is followed this year by a new show with Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander called Rizzoli and Isles. It's still trying to find its footing, but I like both women and the two supporting male roles very much. I'll give it a little more time.
* New Films: Toy Story 3, which was pretty good, but I'm not sure I really liked it, if that makes any sense. I don't see myself watching it over and over like I do the other two. Surrogates, which was interesting, somewhat similar to I, Robot. It was just okay. And This Is It, the Michael Jackson documentary of the rehearsal footage from his concert that was not to be. I enjoyed it more than I expected to, actually.
* Old Favorites: Reign of Fire, Contact, Pocahontas, WALL-E, Jurassic Park III, Julie & Julia, Ratatouille, Toy Story, Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

What special days did I celebrate and how?
We celebrated our anniversary by going to see the Braves game followed by Luke's first July 4th Fireworks. I celebrated my birthday by visiting my new infant niece for the first time!

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
As an anniversary gift, DH bought really good seats for the Braves game. I received gift certificates from family for my birthday, plus a card and birthday cake while at BIL and SIL's house. Nana and Papa sent Luke his first ever school backpack. ACK!! He looks so grown up wearing it!

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Oh my goodness, am I actually able to say "none"? I'm typing this in August, so I don't think I can retroactively jinx July, but you never know. I'm expecting quite a bit of sniffles and whatnot with Luke going to Kindergarten and meeting a bunch of new kids (and their new germs). Maybe the illness gods decided to give us a small break for a change.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
We traveled to NC to visit with BIL and SIL and their two girls. I went antique shopping with my mom. And of course, the Star Wars exhibit and the Space and Rocket Center were amazing.

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
We tried Buckhead Pizza Co. on the way out of town towards North Carolina.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I went shopping for girl stuff (for the nieces), which is definitely unusual! LOL I got a lovely carnival glass cup at the antique store. We also bought Luke's first ever set of school supplies.

What were this month's disappointments?
We discovered the air conditioner was broken the morning of July 31. Lovely way to end the month. The home warranty folks don't seem interested in helping before Monday unless it is "life threatening." Will anyone at this house literally die? Doubtful. Will it threaten our sanity? Most definitely.

What were my accomplishments this month?
My big work project is done! And only 2 weeks behind. This type of project is notorious for being months behind schedule, so just two weeks late is quite a miraculous feat. It still has to pass all of the testing (this is the first time we've done this particular "box"), but the installation and turn up are complete. Yaaaaaaaaay! ::insert Kermit flail here:: (If you have no idea what that means, watch the first 12 seconds of this (SFW) video on YouTube.)

For my 101 Things list, I'm still chipping away at some of the multiple ones (new restaurant, Netflix movies, read a book), but none of the individual items this month. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but we are so busy! I'll try to look at the list and make a conscious effort on a few of them for August.

Work and travel/activities really took up most of the month. Our trips were all very successful, if you want to consider travel an accomplishment. We were so busy, I don't consider us as having had a slack month, but I can't really point to very many specific "accomplishments."

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?


I've already talked about most of it. He saw a movie at the theater, he saw his first July 4th fireworks. Oh, he added two new states to his state count during our trip to Huntsville, which brings his total to 8. I think that was our best museum experience to date, so that was good. I think he is getting closer to being ready for some museum-centric vacations in a year or two, which makes me happy. And he held a baby for the first time. He was really very well behaved during all of our travels. And he was very excited about his Kindergarten backpack! (see picture above; that is NOT a first day of school photo)

Anything else noteworthy to record?
It has been really hot all month, and I hear August isn't going to be much better. Sure hope we get that air conditioner up and working again in a hurry!

Monthly Round Up courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady.

Currently feeling: melting

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!