Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Super Summer 2012 - Mission Log, Day 12 (and my birthday)

Day 13 of our Super Summer happened to coincide with my birthday, so I've combined the two into a single post. For the most part, the morning went as usual: wake up, breakfast, Mythbusters. Star decided to lend a festive flair to my morning and "decorate" my bathroom. Streamers, right? (She's the only one of our cats who does this!)



Next, it was time for something really exciting: groceries! But first, a quick shot of my birthday nails on the way out. Walgreens is having a sale on Sinful Colors nail polish this week for 99 cents each. I might have picked up a few new ones. This is one coat of Fig (should have used two) topped with one coat of Bali Mist.



I noticed this new addition to our grocery store during our last visit, but I had no camera of any sort to take a picture (had left my phone at home). Since it's still very new, it is highly reflective. I'm sure it won't last, but it made for a pretty nifty picture.



Luke was very good while we were there, and they had their Hot Wheels cars on sale, even cheaper than their usual $1 each (only 89 cents!), so he added another to his collection. Small price to pay for being well behaved during one of his least favorite chores.



Part of the reason we went to the grocery store was so I could make a cake. This is Black Magic Cake with Betty Crocker chocolate icing. Yes, a scratch cake with canned icing! I haven't found the right homemade chocolate icing recipe yet, despite having tried 4 different ones so far. ::sigh:: I'll keep trying. Not the prettiest cake in the world, but oh so yummy. The plate is a white Anchor Hocking Fire King plate with a gold edge that used to belong to my great-grandmother. I actually have two of them. Part of me says I shouldn't use them, but part of me loves using them and remembering her.



Baking, frosting, Wii, and LEGOs took up most of our afternoon. When Daddy got home, it was off to dinner. YUM! Our usual favorite Japanese restaurant, Fuji Ya, next to Best Buy in Tucker. I tried to teach Luke to use chopsticks, but his fingers just aren't quite long/strong enough yet. I need to practice my "kids chopsticks" technique for him (the ones with the rubber band that turn them into giant tweezers).



After dinner, we did cards and my package that arrived that afternoon.



Wow! I'm not sure what I was expecting when I was told to be on the lookout for a box, but that wasn't it. What a great surprise! Thanks to my parents and brother!! This is the perfect type of gift, something I wanted but wouldn't have bought for myself, certainly not with the job situation in its present state. I've been happily downloading free books ever since, though they also sent a gift card for Kindle books. I'm trying to spend it wisely, though, so I haven't actually bought anything yet.

We thought we were going to have cake after we opened stuff, but Luke doesn't like chocolate cake (how can we be related?), and DH and I were both still super-stuffed from dinner, so cake will wait until tomorrow. All in all, an excellent day. We will return with a more "traditional" mission on Thursday.

Currently feeling: too full for cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!