Friday, September 02, 2005

Census options incomplete

Naturally, we got the long form on the census. I thought they only did this every 10 years, but what do I know. I did, however, manage to (mostly) keep my sense of humor about the whole thing, particularly regarding a few questions. Please note that I am in no way mocking people for whom the genuine answer to these questions is yes. I understand the intent of the questions and answered "no" accordingly. They simply amused me the way they were worded.

Because of a physical, mental, or emotional condition lasting 6 months or more, does this person have any difficulty in doing the following activities:
* Learning, remembering, or concentrating?
* Dressing, bathing, or getting around inside the home?
* Going outside the home alone to shop or visit a doctor's office?


Frankly, the answer to these questions is "yes." I had a baby! I routinely have difficulty remembering, concentrating, dressing, bathing, and most *especially* going outside the home ALONE to do much of anything, particularly shopping or doctor's office visits (as evidenced by my taking Luke with me to revisit the sinus infection issue). It's been going on for more than six months, and I don't see it letting up any time soon.

I also got a bit annoyed at all of the questions about whether or not you worked in the last week/year. It just asked things about lay-offs and looking for work. No where did it ask if you were *choosing* to stay home, particularly to care for a child. I think that should be relevant and valid. As it stands, I look like a slacker staying at home and leaching off my husband. Very annoying.

Currently feeling: humored (sort of)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!