Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Movie Muse Shorts: Ratatouille, Transformers, and Harry Potter 5

I'll get the full musings out eventually, but with everything else going on this week with Luke's arm (thank you all for the well-wishes), this is the best I can do for now.

Ratatouille
Very good; I enjoyed it quite a lot. Didn't quite reach the heights of The Incredibles for me, but very funny and worth seeing nonetheless. No coda.

Transformers
Transformers was about what I was expecting, which is a good thing! Some people were saying it would be the next "Independence Day." I wouldn't go that far. ID is one of my favorite films of that genre, and this didn't quite measure up. I am also a self-admitted Armageddon fan (another Michael Bay film), and it wasn't quite that good either. But still, quite good, definitely the best "turn your brain off and enjoy it action movie" I've seen in a while. And the effects are just jaw-dropping, as you knew they would be. Again, definitely worth seeing, and on the big screen if you can! There is not a coda per se, but there are three short clips in the first couple of minutes of credits, so don't leave the theater immediately. The first two are just funny, but the third one (ironically the shortest) has some meaning.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
I was unexpectedly able to catch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix this afternoon. Really quite good, though it stuck more to the spirit of the book than the letter. Captured most things pretty effectively, even if not exactly the way everything happened. I think they missed two *hugely* important points from the book, one at the beginning and one at the end; guess we'll find out in 10 days (with the release of the final book) if it is ultimately important or not. DH, a non-book reader, enjoyed it as well, though he did have a few questions that I needed to answer when we left. No coda at the end, so no reason to sit through all the credits.

Currently feeling: full of films!

2 comments:

  1. As your brother-in-law you would think that I had seen your blog quite sometime ago. Sadly this is my first viewing of it. I must say that I'm impressed, good content, easy to follow, and very purple. Anyways I just wanted to let you know I finally stopped by. I hope Luke is doing better and Steve's goatee is recovering as well.

    Love,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. We watched Ratatouille on tuesday. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought which is weird because I usually love animated films. Worth one watching though.

    I need to get a babysitter and watch OOTP. It's in the theater 5 minutes away! Wonder which 2 things you're referring to. This book was my least favorite of all. I would be pleased if they show very little of Umbridge. I thought a lot of her role was unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!