Friday, April 30, 2010

April 2010 Round Up


Click mosaic to biggify. Created using Big Huge Labs Mosaic Maker.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
Stared reading The Joy of Cooking, which was given to me by Annette 3 or 4 years ago (hard to remember now; ah, blog archives say April 2007). I've read all of the preface stuff and started flipping through recipes. Really want to learn to do something pretty basic, but no idea what yet. Also got to read another large chunk of Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade while waiting at the emergency vet.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
* TV Time: Oh good heavens, nearly everything! Plus Law & Order: Criminal Intent and In Plain Sight have now returned as well. Love our shows, I really do, but I'm ready for June (when most new shows are over until fall). Remind me I said that when I'm complaining in August about having nothing to watch, okay?
* New Films: How to Train Your Dragon (cute, but too intense for Luke), Sense and Sensibility (didn't like it as much as I expected to)
* Old Favorites: A Beautiful Mind, The Breakfast Club, The Little Mermaid, Pixar Shorts, Atlantis, Bolt, Beauty and the Beast, Fried Green Tomatoes, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, The Rookie

What special days did I celebrate and how?
Both of my best buds have April birthdays, so I sent some cards. And we celebrated our niece's 2nd birthday and Easter with BIL and SIL and SIL's family, which was very nice.

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Sent a bunch of photos (as in actual prints) to several different people, all of which seem to have been very much appreciated.

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
I'm continuing on beta blocker for headache issue. Hope to come off it in a couple of months. Discovered that I've been having ophthalmic migraines for years without knowing they had a name! Nothing to worry about, apparently, it just never occurred to me they had a name.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
We went to the Renaissance Festival with Ginny, Justin, and Riley. We actually didn't see my family at all in April (I know!!).

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
I was looking for something a little different from "the usual" during a recent dinner out, so I tried the cream of chicken and wild rice soup at Panera. It was good, and I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
We now have tickets for Cirque du Soleil's Ovo, which will be Luke's first ever Cirque show, and my first one since well before he was born. (Dad actually paid for the tickets. Thanks, Dad!) I'm so excited! It has the added benefit of being one that no one in my family has ever seen.

In the general housewares department, we also bought some slimline tower fans my parents recommended for the house (trying to figure out how to keep it cool inside this summer without breaking the bank), and new towels for us (first new ones since we got married, I do believe). Also picked up some reusable shopping bags. Now if I can just remember to use them....

Does paying to have stuff removed count as a purchase? If so, then we had the very old rusty metal shed torn down in the back yard, and we had the fireplace cleaned and inspected. They'll come back to put a cap on the chimney and replace the damper in May.

What were this month's disappointments?
More work frustrations. Also a little disappointed in myself for not following through on a few personal things for me. I just need to do better.

What were my accomplishments this month?
101 Things: Working on it! See note about Cirque tickets (item 40). And with the half way point rapidly approaching, I have started actively working on current item 101 (have a new list of 101 things ready by day 1001). Quite a few items so far. Not sure if they'll all stay on the list (still 18-ish months before I need it), and several of the things I might not get to this round (craft items aren't looking good right now) will likely roll over. But, I figured I should start writing ideas down as they occur to me so I don't get to the end and have to scramble to get it done.

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?


Luke attended his first ever non-family birthday party for his best friend at daycare. They've been best buds for well over a year now, but they are now in separate Pre-K classes. I'm actually glad to have him in after school care just so they get to play together most days. I know he misses O terribly. I made friends with a couple of the other moms, which was very nice, too. I did find out that all four boys who were there will each be attending different schools next year. We'll have to work hard and stay in touch to keep the boys friends. We're already trying to set some play dates for this summer.

Luke also successfully tied a shoe for the first time! Took a lot of coaching, and he doesn't really "get it" yet, nor can he do it when the shoe is actually on his foot, but we're working on it. It's going to take lots and lots of practice, but it is really something I want him to be able to do before he starts Kindergarten.



We've had some behavior issues again. Part of it, I think, is just cabin fever/boredom. We were told back in December that they "didn't have anything else to teach him." Things did get better with him, interest wise, with his new teachers, but they've started waning again. Combine that with the appearance of his 6-year molars, and it's been a bit of a rough month. I had a long talk with his teacher, and she thinks he is a kinesthetic learner, which means he pretty much has to be moving in order to be able to pay attention and learn. It is similar to (and often goes hand in hand with) but is NOT the same as being ADD/ADHD. I've been doing a lot of research, and we're hoping he can learn to cope. The fear is that he will be "labeled" ADHD and won't ever be able to escape the label. I sure hope things start improving soon, both at school and at home. We're all very frustrated.

Anything else noteworthy to record?
Discovered we seem to have carpenter bees digging into the deck! Need to call the exterminators to find out what to do about it. We've been meaning to have the deck sealed, but it won't stop raining and/or being covered in pollen.

Monthly Round Up courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady.
Currently feeling: rounded

2 comments:

  1. What version of Sense and Sensibility did you watch? I find it's taken a couple times of watching Austen before I get to the "love it!" stage LOL

    Did you know there's a new Lego Star Wars coming out (probably early next year) based on The Clone Wars? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. Did you see "How to Train Your Dragon" in 2D or 3D?

    Also, thanks for retweeting Ebert's comment about my blog on Miyazaki Movies.

    Dave
    @dumbricht on twitter

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!