Saturday, April 30, 2011

April 2011 Round Up


Click mosaic to biggify. Created using Big Huge Labs Mosaic Maker.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
Went through a ton of catalogs, but I don't think that really counts. I've started reading my Boston touring book, but I haven't gotten very far.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
* TV Time: Tried Body of Proof; it was fine but we didn't love it, and we watch more than enough TV as it is, so we dropped it. Mythbusters returned, yay! Saw a great documentary on the 35th anniversary of Jaws, which prompted me to see the movie again for the first time in ages.
* New Films: The Tourist (blah), Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (haven't seen it on stage; quite enjoyed it, especially Donny Osmond), The Importance of Being Earnest (quite good Oscar Wilde adaptation, though I prefer An Ideal Husband), The Sting (fun movie full of classic eye candy)
* Old Favorites: Tangled, WALL-E, Kung-Fu Panda, Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Transformers, Jaws, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Chances Are, Reign of Fire, Gattaca, Goldfinger, Dr. No, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Reign of Fire, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Emperor's New Groove, An American Tail

What special days did I celebrate and how?
We were able to celebrate our niece N's birthday in North Carolina. Unfortunately, I had to miss my best friend's baby shower in Texas.

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Lots of clothes for the nieces, per SIL's request. Also managed to sneak in a couple of Star Wars toys and books to counteract the scads of princess stuff; we're evil like that! LOL Steve's aunt and uncle sent Luke an adorable little bunny and a coloring/activity book for Easter. We haven't seen them in at least 3 years. I think that was a hint! LOL

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
I'm coughing for no particular reason I can discern; not fun. Luke ran a fever for a day, but no other symptoms besides some fatigue. And I had a mole biopsied; should have results in early May.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
The birthday party, of course. Went shopping with my mom.

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
BIL and SIL took us to Red Robin during our visit. I hear we have them here, but I've never seen one. It was pretty good. Probably a good thing there isn't one near by! I also tried two new recipes: Peanut Butter Truffle Pie (pretty good, but needs some tweaking) and Chicken and Rice Chowder (okay to good, just not what I had in mind in terms of flavor).

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
New summer clothes, since some from last year are missing (no idea what happened to them). Also new sneakers, since mine are well over a year old and were already not supportive enough when we went to Disney.

What were this month's disappointments or frustrations?
Luke dropping his toothbrush down the sink was also not fun (still haven't fixed it). I had a terribly frustrating week of cooking where I didn't have enough of something or I burned it or it didn't turn out right. Mostly my fault, but not totally. I also missed a weekly Luke picture for the first time since I made the commitment to do it. Previously, I might have missed it by a day or so, but I went nearly 2 weeks without a single photo of him this time. Must do better about that.

What were my accomplishments this month?
I've been very good about meal planning this month! Since spring break week, I have planned 3 consecutive weeks of meals and mostly stuck to it. Most days when we didn't make whatever was on the schedule, it was because we had enough leftovers that we didn't need to cook again. Only twice did we eat out instead of at home as planned (does not include times we planned to eat out, usually Wednesdays before soccer practice). I'm just so proud of myself!

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?


Luke finally scored his first goal of the spring soccer season! Between games being rained out, and the ones that weren't were against really good teams, it took a little while, but he did a great job. I can't believe we only have 2 games left, and only 15 days of Kindergarten!

Speaking of which, Luke's reading is really coming along. He's started trying to read signs and billboards, which I consider excellent progress in both ability and interest. He also did his first ever algebra problem. Not bad for Kindergarten! He really loves the math star sheets they've been sending home, which makes me a very happy mommy. We *were* doing very well in the behavior department since spring break, until last week when he made it to the step *past* red (the teacher's desk) for the first time. That did not make us happy. I thought being on the teacher's desk meant you get a note or phone call home, but we've received nothing so far. As usual, his answer regarding what happened was "I don't remember," which frustrates me to no end.

Anything else noteworthy to record?
Yes, I watched the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Such a beautiful couple, and a truly glorious wedding. I wish them all the best in their new life!

Monthly Round Up courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady.

Currently feeling: lovey dovey

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!