Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Holy Moley

I had a mole biopsied today. Um, ow. The actual biopsy itself didn't hurt (well, not once she put the second dose of local in it), but it is right on the side/back of my left shoulder, so any time I move my arm, it tugs on the wound, making it sting. She took a chunk about 7-8mm across and 1mm deep. Doesn't sound too bad, and it's not really; could definitely be worse. We should have the results back on it next week. If it's fine or if the margins were clear, then I'm done. Otherwise, I'll go back and she'll take some more. Given the family history of suspicious moles, it could easily come back that more needs to be taken. Not something I would look forward to, but certainly better than possibly dying of skin cancer. No reason to fret about it yet, though, since it may not have to happen. none of my other moles looked suspicious to her, so as long as nothing changes, I should be fine.

She did use liquid nitrogen to freeze off a very tiny spot on my face, right on the apple of my left cheek. It's one of those "probably nothing, but might have the potential to become something, so if we go ahead and freeze it off now, then you never have to worry about it again" things. It stung a little, but that was it. Not bad at all. The itching afterwards as the skin thawed out again was the worst part, and even that subsided after 30-45 minutes.

Given my coloring, my family history, and the fact that I haven't been to the dermatologist in at least 15 years, I'd say one tiny spot and one funny looking mole isn't bad at all! Both my mom and my brother have had several spots taken off in the last few years, which is what finally prompted me to go. (If something had looked suspicious, I'd have gone before now.) I'll let you know the results on the biopsy next week. If you could think good thoughts for me, I'd appreciate it.

Currently feeling: a little owie

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!