Friday, May 06, 2011

2011 Summer Movie Picks

Okay, let's try that again, with the right title this time. Who cares about 2010 movie picks? Sorry about that, and thanks Mom for letting me know I had the title wrong.

Summer movie season officially starts today! And it's gonna be a busy one. I know I haven't seen nearly as many movies as I used to since Luke was born. Time/ability to get away has definitely been a factor, but honestly, in the last few years, there really hasn't been all that much we wanted to see. Not so this year! We have "want to see" films slated for 10 of 13 weekends, plus a couple of "maybe" films. Not sure we'll get to them all, but we'll sure try.

May 6 - Thor
May 13 - .....
May 20 - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
May 27 - Kung Fu Panda 2
June 4 - X-Men: First Class
June 10 - *maybe* Super 8 (need to learn more; might be too scary)
June 17 - Green Lantern
June 24 - Cars 2
July 1 - Transformers: Dark of the Moon
July 8 - .....
July 15 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (and maybe Winnie the Pooh)
July 22 - Captain America: The First Avenger
July 29 - Cowboys and Aliens

Luke might even get *two* movies out of the deal (maybe three, if Pooh pans out), a first for him in a single "season." He usually gets one summer and one winter film per year, more because that's all that's available (that we approve of) than because we're limiting his consumption. Since nothing so far for winter is looking promising, I'm glad there are a few extra choices for summer. And no, we won't be seeing Smurfs unless it gets rave reviews from multiple trusted parties. Just the Smurf song/Wild Thing mash-up in the previews is enough to turn me off. It's just... wrong. Yes, we're gluttons for punishment and will probably see the next Transformers film, even though the last one was pretty bad (and the first one isn't great); it's as much about the big screen visual experience as anything on that one.

The rest of these films, though, we genuinely want to see. Yes, they're all big budget films for the masses, but you know what? That's just fine with me. I go to the movies to escape reality, and given this week, I could definitely do with a little less reality at the moment. Hard to get much further removed from reality than these!

Currently feeling: bring on the show!

1 comment:

  1. We saw Thor yesterday (regular format; no 3D or IMAX, more due to scheduling and our fatigue than anything else). It was OK...I did not grow up reading Thor comics and always thought the guy in the winged helmet/god as superhero concept was pretty cheesy. So given that, I really enjoyed the movie. I mean, it's no Iron Man, but it had some great characters. Michael had to assure me no CG was used when Thor had his shirt off, LOL!! He actually had to LOSE 20 pounds of muscle for the role (he's 6'7"!!) The actor who played Loki was awesome. And the SHIELD bits were good. Be sure to stay through the credits. =)

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!