Thursday, February 05, 2015

WIPcoalypse 2015 - February 4



Okay, so it's February 5. It's close! I actually got quite a bit of stitching done in January (and the first few days of February). I really surprised myself, honestly. It wasn't every day, but it was definitely more than half. I certainly wouldn't expect to see this much progress every month! Let's talk about the topic, and then we'll move on to why you're really here: the pictures! LOL

Topic: How do you overcome that feeling that you're in a rut with a particular project?

I tend to burn out more than I get stuck in a rut (unless that's what was meant). When that happens, there are three possible solutions for me. One is to switch projects (as you may have noticed). The second is to just put away the stitching for a while, which typically means moving on to one of my other hobbies (usually reading). Shopping can also help, but there's only so much of that my bank account can stand! I actually did two out of three this month. Every time I burned out on one project, I moved to another one. I also did a little shopping towards the end of the month. Seeing everyone post about the Year in Chalk series by Hands On Designs finally convinced me to do it. Picked up a few other things, too, which will probably gradually start making appearances on these monthly updates. ;-) I am still feeling a little burned out, though. I haven't stitched since Monday (it's now Thursday). I'm starting to fear that I won't have much to show you next month.

Anyway, on to the pictures! Click on any of the stitching pics to see a bigger version.

Titania, by Mirabilia (click image to biggify)


I started with Titania. I actually did many hours worth of work on it this month (probably about 20), but I don't feel like you can see much progress. I filled in a lot of the dress/sleeves around her arms, did some of the bottom left wing (close to the dress), did the leaves on the left, and the last bit of sash/swirl on the right.

Baked Alaska, by Glendon Place (click image to biggify)


Next up was Baked Alaska. I needed to stitch something besides pink! I feel like this one is going pretty quickly, but it's hard to say for sure. I do find it very soothing to work on. Not sure if it's the blues or the silks or what, but it is quite calming.

Tiramisu, by Glendon Place (click image to biggify)


But there is also only so much blue I can stand to look at. I know, I'm wishy-washy like that. I don't feel like Tiramisu is going quite as quickly as Baked Alaska. That might just be perception, though. It's so pretty, though, I really love watching it grow. The white/natural silk shows up better in person, though I do wish the fabric was about a half shade darker than it is, like if the lightest parts were the color of the dark parts, and the dark parts were correspondingly darker, if that makes sense. (That's probably what the fabric would have looked like if I'd ordered the same color in a different fabric type; live and learn).

Adia the Garden Fairy, by Mirabilia (click image to biggify)


My friend Terri has started #MirabiliaMonday on Facebook, so I snuck in Adia at the last minute on February 2. I only put in 4 strands of floss, but it's pretty obvious where they went. All I can see when I look at it is a chainsaw, LOL!

Taj Mahal Mandala, by Chatelaine (click image to biggify)


There was progress of a sort on Taj Mahal. I finally pulled the trigger on the fabric, which traveled all the way from New Zealand! 28 ct Lugana in Twilight from Country Stitch. Again, because I went with Lugana instead of a linen, it's lighter than I anticipated (I knew it would be lighter than the linen, but it's even lighter still than I expected). I think it will be fine, though, plus it's too expensive to not use. Since I'm stitching on 28 count fabric (instead of the 32 count the chart called for), the actual stitching part will be about 19 inches (50 cm) square when finished. That means that it won't fit on a fat quarter of fabric, which is only 18-ish inches wide. Thus, what you're seeing is actually a fat half of fabric (folded in half, so it looks like a fat quarter). Unfolded, it looks like this:



That is 27 x 39 inches (70 x 100 cm) of fabric, larger than a standard USA piece of poster board (which is 24 x 36 inches). For reference, my son is about 5 feet tall (1.5 m). I am completely intimidated by this gigantic piece of fabric! I'm sure once I get some stitches on it, things will be fine, but wow, my mind is still boggling a bit at how huge this thing is.

Currently feeling: intimidated

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous projects. I'll enjoy watching them grow. That is one huge piece of fabric, bu I'm confident you'll get it under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a little scary, but once I get it snapped into a Qsnap, I'm sure it will feel much more manageable.

      Delete
  2. I love your Baked Alaska, those shades of blue are so pretty. I always get excited when I see those Chatelain floss toss. Makes me wish I had one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The left picture of Baked Alaska is more color accurate, but yes, it is truly lovely in person. This is also my first ever Chatelaine, so I'm quite excited to get started!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful projects and progress! I have a project with a massive piece of fabric, too, so I understand the intimidation, but it will be worth it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know it seems silly, since we work on blank fabric all the time, but it is almost overwhelming. I'm sure it will be fine once I get started, since you can only stitch on a few inches of it at any given time!

      Delete
  4. Your projects are lovely. It will be a fun to watch them grow. Keep those needles moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually haven't stitched at all since Feb 2. Won't have much to show next time if I don't get moving!

      Delete
  5. Lovely projects all. The Glendon Place ones look like fun. Good luck with your new project. That much fabric would scare me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Glendon Place mandalas are great fun! Easy but beautiful. (I know, I sound like a commercial, sorry. I'm just really enjoying them.) I'll probably get brave this month and actually put some stitches on the huge fabric. I hope! LOL

      Delete
  6. Wow Erin!!! you have some really great projects. I especially like looking at all the fibers, floss, and fabric for Taj Mahal Mandala. Don't worry about the size of the fabric once you put it on a scroll frame it will be quite manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm actually a hoop and/or qsnap girl (no larger than 11x11), so wrangling that much fabric might be tricky. I'm told it can be done, though. Guess I'll find out! LOL If not, I will definitely be investigating a scroll frame.

      Delete
  7. Great progress. Looking forward to seeing the start of the chatelain project. It might inspire me as I think I have several of her designs I picked up at a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! It is rare to find discounted Chatelaines, as I understand it. This will be my very first one, so I'm a bit anxious about it, but I've been stitching for years, so I'm sure it will be fine (at least I hope so!).

      Delete
  8. love your updates, I've looked at the Glendon designs, but haven't gotten one YET. I love the Mira's I have a couple of them going myself and more on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Glendon Place mandalas actually remind me of Mirabilias in some respects. Large blocks of color, very relaxing. No confetti or backstitching. Quite relaxing. And yummy silks, too!

      Delete
  9. Your projects, as always, are gorgeous.

    And I'm going to totally steal your Tiramisu :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I shall do my best to defend my Tiramisu from you. ;-)

      Delete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!