Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 2010 Round Up


Click mosaic to biggify. Created using Big Huge Labs Mosaic Maker.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
My Life in France, by Julia Child. I'm about half way done, and I am *really* enjoying it!

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
* TV Time: Not much going on right now, thankfully. Law & Order: Criminal Intent and In Plain Sight are both done, and Mythbusters is doing Buster's Cuts, which are fun but not "new," IMO. Been watching a lot of History Channel and CSI reruns on Spike.
* New Films: Prince of Persia (okay; really expected to like it more)
* Old Favorites: Lilo & Stitch, Sleeping Beauty, Ice Age, Enchanted (I'm sure there were others, but they just are not coming to me right now)

What special days did I celebrate and how?
Saw Mom for her birthday, which was unexpected. Had dinner with parents, grandmother, uncle and his wife. Great to see everyone!

What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Sent baby cards and graduation cards. Still have a few more to give out.

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Had my *lowest* blood pressure reading in 6 years, since I was pregnant with Luke. 110/72! They even took it twice, thinking there had been a misread the first time. Nope! And I feel really good. It's one of those situations where I had no idea I felt bad until I started feeling good again. Yay me!

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
Took Luke to an air show. Spent a week in the mountains with my parents. Got to see Kelli and Owen before they leave for Scotland. Attended Katie and Rhiannon's wedding, followed by a GA Tech get-together. Quite the busy month!

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
Um, I don't know. I was thinking there was something, but I can't recall. I know I had an excellent quiche-ish something at the wedding. The caterer even told me what it was called, but I've forgotten now. It was way yum, though!

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I bought clothes. For me! (I know!!) I even bought 3 pairs of capris, which I love, and 3 pairs of shorts I might actually consider wearing in public. I think it's a miracle. Also bought size 3 shoes for Luke. That's size 3 mens, which is the same as woman's size 5. Picked up LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4, which should keep the grown-ups busy for a while.

What were this month's disappointments?
My Great-Uncle Richard died. He will be deeply missed.

My camera has something between the sensor and the lens, so there is a mark on all of my photos. It started while we were in North Carolina. Seems to still be in warranty if I can ever remember to get it in the mail. Thankfully, my Father of 1000 Cameras had an extra one on hand to loan me until I get mine back.

What were my accomplishments this month?
60. Take Luke to the planetarium. - Cleared another item off the 101 Things List, though it was almost by accident. When I wrote this item, I had the Fernbank Planetarium in mind. But while in North Carolina, the science museum we visited included planetarium admission, so we went. Luke was suitably impressed!

Seems like the month has been pretty busy, but I'm not sure I actually accomplished anything? Actually, I think finally showing the house to our friends was a reasonable accomplishment. We have lived here for 8 months now, but I feel like we've been gone nearly half of that, at least as far as weekends are concerned. I had a small and reasonable list of things to do before Luke's birthday party, but I'm starting to think they won't get done because we're so rarely here to do them.

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?


Random little thing (thank you, Twitter!): Luke proved he can open child proof caps, at least on his vitamin bottle.

As you can see above, Luke licked his first cookie dough beater! I've been trying for years to get him to try it, but he was never interested. This time, I didn't even offer him one, but when I came into the den licking one myself, he stuck out his finger, took a swipe, and licked it, then wanted the other one. Well, okay! LOL

Luke added another state to his "state count." My family has always been proud of the number of states we have visited, and I keep an eye on Luke's count as well. If it's relatively easy to add another one with a reasonably quick drive, then we do try. We "snuck" over the Virginia state line while we were in the North Carolina mountains, since it was only a few miles away via the Blue Ridge Parkway. That brings his state total to 6: Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Virginia. Not bad for age 5!

He also started his tutoring sessions with his former Pre-K teacher. It's not so much that we think he needs tutoring, we were just afraid he would lose much of the progress he made towards reading over the summer, and when she offered to work with him one on one for a ridiculously reasonable price (we actually think she's charging too little), we took her up on it.

Our current struggle is over Pokemon cards. I know there are worse things in the world, but I know the only reason he wants some is to fit in with the older kids. On the one hand, I completely understand that desire. OTOH, he will only be around these older kids for a few more weeks during the summer before starting school in August, where he won't need them anymore. And lastly, I don't want the older kids taking advantage of him, "trading" him and taking all of his good cards and leaving him with not much. Since he can neither read nor strategize, it is bound to happen. And I am so tired of hearing him beg for them every day after school! So we've struck a bit of a deal with him: once he can read and understand the cards, then he can have some. If that's what it takes to get him reading, and it works, then I will *happily* buy him some cards. "But I don't want to read!" I know, that's the whole problem! We'll see how it goes.

Anything else noteworthy to record?
No, I think that pretty much covers it! LOL

Monthly Round Up courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady.

Currently feeling: well rounded

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!