Saturday, February 04, 2012

Roasted Potatoes - Fifth Time's the Charm?



What do you NOT see on these potatoes? Burned spots! I've been trying to roast potatoes for over a year now, and they're either not crispy (sometimes not even brown, though done) or they're burned. The last four times I've made them, I've burned them. Apparently, I'm just not good at it. As you can see, these are brown but not burned, and they were quite yummy. They're still not crispy, though. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I made Ranch Roasted Potatoes, for the record, baked them at 375 for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, then baked at 425 for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. That's more babysitting than I generally care to do for a weeknight side dish.

I did read something interesting, though. I did a search for "crispy roast potatoes," and I wonder if I'm using the wrong kind of potatoes? I absolutely love red potatoes, so that's what I've been using for my roasting. But most of the recipes I found recommended russet and/or yukon gold. One recipe even specified to use red potatoes if you wanted "creamy, less crisp potatoes." So maybe that's the problem? I'll try again with either russets or yukon golds next time. My brother also recommended Alexia Oven Reds, which are apparently frozen; just bake and you're done! Might look into them (or might have to wait until I can afford a larger freezer! LOL).

Currently feeling: baffled

2 comments:

  1. Erin, we use new red potatoes (maybe 2 inches in diameter) for roasting. I cut them in half, toss in EVOO, then place them cut side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the skins with kosher salt and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. I don't turn them or stir them. They come out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a combination of red potatoes, white potatoes and sweet potatoes. I do parboil first to cut down on the bake time.

    So no, you aren't using the "wrong" potatoes. Use what you like!!

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!