Thursday, August 09, 2012

Super Summer 2012 - Mission Log, Day 16

Our final day of Super Summer 2012 got a bit derailed. Morning plans were interrupted by a phone call that my entire family has literally been waiting months for. Here is the corresponding screen shot from the front page of the Georgia Southern University website.

That would be my little brother on the right. This grant was 16 months in the making, and is one of the (possibly THE) largest research grant ever awarded to Georgia Southern University. Per the press release: "Georgia Southern University’s Rural Health Research Institute (RHRI) has been awarded a $5.1 million grant by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) designating the RHRI as a Center of Excellence for the Elimination of Rural Health Disparities. The grant, one of the largest research grants recently awarded to Georgia Southern, was received by RHRI Co-Executive Directors Bryant Smalley, Ph.D, Psy.D. and Jacob Warren, Ph.D. Smalley is a clinical psychologist in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and Warren is an epidemiologist in the Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health." Full press release here.

And while I'm bragging on Jacob, his first book was published this summer. It is an academic book, not really intended for the general public, but still pretty cool to find your brother on Amazon!

Rural Mental Health

We were supposed to have lunch with my husband, but DH got tied up in a meeting, and my phone call with Jacob lasted until just after noon anyway. Luke and I made do on our own for lunch, and he played Wii for a bit while I showered. I really wanted to hit Steak 'n Shake Happy Hour again for our last day of summer, so we headed out around 2 PM.

Playing with depth of field.

We should have been home around 3-3:15 PM to do the shaving cream painting, but this happened.

Um, no thanks. We'll just hang out at Steak 'n Shake for a bit until the worst blows over. Which took nearly 30 minutes! At one point, it was raining so hard that we couldn't see the Dunkin' Donuts across the street. My phone didn't have much charge left, but it lasted just long enough to entertain Luke as we waited for the storm to mostly pass. Traffic was, of course, a nightmare, even on the side streets we were taking. We got home at 3:50, which is just 10 minutes before DH usually gets home, though it was more like 4:15 when he finally got there. So, not much in the way of new activities this week, but still a (mostly) pleasant end to the summer. School starts Monday! (EEK!!)

This is Luke and Erin, signing off, for the final mission of Super Summer 2012.

Currently feeling: drowned

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!