Monday, August 30, 2004

GO! Set. Ready?

Given that I can't sleep, and I've been meaning to blog on this topic for what seems like forever, I figured it was about time. How many times have you heard or said the following: "you're never completely ready for a baby." I heard that constantly growing up, and I've been told that more times than I can count since announcing this pregnancy. I know it's true; it has to be. How can you prepare yourself for something you have no concept of in actuality, particularly if you didn't grow up around lots of little kids and babies (I certainly didn't).

It occurs to me that having a child is the one thing we do almost completely backwards, thus the title of this post. Under normal circumstances for most any task, we would do everything possible to prepare ourselves. We'd read, we'd study, we'd practice. We'd "get ready." Then we would set up the plan for how to accomplish whatever it is we want. "Set." Finally, when we feel "ready and set," we'd implement said plan and tackle whatever it is we were preparing for; "go." You can't really do that with having a child. For most people (my personal observations here), the first thing we do is start trying (GO!). Only once we have succeeded do we really start setting out the fully detailed plan. What do we need? When do we need it? How does this whole birth thing actually work (you expect me to do what?! LOL)? Only once we've taken the plunge and there's no turning back do we bother to get around to being "set" for actually bringing a child into this world and into our own home. And then, once we think we're all (or mostly) set, or we hope we are because we're running out of time.... only then do we really sit down and say, am I ready for this? The answer is no. No matter how much prep work we do, we'll never be truly ready. All we can do is hope and wait and pray.

Doesn't really matter, anyway, because it's too late to change my mind at this point. Only 5(ish) weeks left. EEK! Are we ready? No; see above. Are we set? Well, we're getting there. Hey, we have a constructed crib in the baby's room now. Yay! ::big smile:: OMG, we have a crib!!! That means we're *actually* going to have a baby to put in it. EEK EEK EEK!!!!! What the heck were we thinking?! We're not ready for this! ::tries not to faint:: And we're breathing....

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!