Tuesday, July 11, 2006

But that's *my* name!

You have got to be freakin' kidding me! It took me years upon years upon years to FINALLY come up with an internet handle better than "ewgaston," and now the MPAA is stealing it from me? Here is the article link, but I'll go on and quote the whole thing here:
In an effort to become more in tune with moviegoers' opinions on the film business, the Motion Picture Association of America announced Tuesday a new online panel, My Movie Muse.

Hoping to engage 7,500 participants initially and ramp up to 15,000 by next year, the MPAA created Muse in order to periodically survey participants about movie-related topics, from theater attendance to home video rental, advertisements and piracy.

"The opportunities for innovative new distribution models, the competition from other entertainment sources and the transition to digital cinema and television make it ever more important for us to stay in close touch with consumers on the range of issues that affect us," MPAA chairman and CEO Dan Glickman said. "Focused, consistent input from people outside the movie business can help better inform the industry during these evolving times."

The MPAA intends to survey participants quarterly and hopes they will act as unofficial advisers to the film industry.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

No wonder I can't get hold of that domain name! I've been trying for years. It was owned by someone in England, but it wasn't being used, so I kept biding my time, seeing if it would expire and/or go back on sale. And sometime, it did, and was snatched up before I could get it. I wonder if they are the ones who did it. So help me, they had better not come after me for copyright infringement. (Actually, can I go after them? Probably not, since I didn't register it somewhere?) That is MY user name. MINE!!! And frankly, I think I should be automatically included on the panel.

Currently feeling: rather irritated

2 comments:

  1. Well, if you need someone to back you up that you've been using that name LONG before they announced their thing, you have plenty of us blog readers to do just that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get out your phonebook and look up a copyright attorney and call for some free advice. If I remember correctly the fact that you've been using it (even if it's not registered) makes it yours, especially if you've consistently used it.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!