Monday, May 31, 2010

May 2010 Round Up


Click mosaic to biggify. Created using Big Huge Labs Mosaic Maker.

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
I kept intending to start a new book, but it is still sitting on the table beside my recliner, and I haven't even read the first page.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?
* TV Time: Nearly all of our "regular" shows finished up. Only Mythbusters, In Plain Sight, and Law & Order: Criminal Intent still going. The Closer doesn't start until July, I think, so we're looking pretty light on our TV viewing for the next few weeks.
* New Films: Eagle Eye (just so-so), Julie & Julia (really liked it; very sweet, not deep), Failure to Launch (just so-so; had its moments), Sherlock Holmes (pretty good movie, didn't like it as an addition to the Holmes genre), Iron Man 2 (not nearly as good as the first)
* Old Favorites: Avatar, The Emperor's New Groove, A League of Their Own, Kung Fu Panda, Disney's Robin Hood (cartoon), Disney's Three Musketeers (cartoon), Chances Are, French Kiss, Contact, Guarding Tess, Speed, LA Confidential, Mulan, Fried Green Tomatoes, Up, A View to a Kill, Bolt, The Rock, Octopussy, An American Tail, The Wizard of Oz, Batteries Not Included

What special days did I celebrate and how?
Mother's Day was very nice. Had Japanese that Saturday, in case I didn't wake up in time to go out Sunday. Slept until 10 Sunday, which gave time to make it to Longhorn for lunch, where I got their dessert sampler as a special treat. Had a bite of each of the three desserts, of course, but only ate all of the apple one that was served warm with ice cream. The chocolate one and the cheesecake were both boxed up and taken home to be enjoyed later. All quite good, though none truly phenomenal. Also called my mom, though she spent most of the day working to prepare for her inspection at work.



What gifts did I give and/or receive?
We sent flowers to SIL to celebrate the birth of our new niece! Baby M looks more like her mom than her older sister did at that age. That makes two girl cousins for Luke!

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Luke broke out in some strange red spots on his face while we were at my parents' house for Memorial Day. All we could figure is that it was an allergic reaction to the bubble stuff we were using (blowing great big bubbles that he would pop, usually splashing his face in the process). He had ten roughly dime-sized spots (about 1 cm) all over his face. Gave him a Benadryl when he went to bed and he was fine in the morning, but it was a little scary.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?
We took my parents to Ga Ren Fest. It was Mom's first time, and Dad hadn't been in years. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. DH taught Luke to play Go Fish one afternoon, which was fun. Also took Luke to the beach over Memorial Day, which had waves and a good breeze this time.

What new foods, recipes or restaurants did I try this month?
SIL made the yummiest cupcakes for our niece's birthday party back in April, and I had to get the recipe. I finally tried them for myself, and they turned out so yummy! It was my first attempt ever at a cake from scratch! Made them again over Memorial Day weekend for the family to try, and everyone gives them a thumbs up. I used cake flour the second time, but I don't feel that it made much difference, honestly. I don't think any of us will ever make a box cake again!



And I made ganache for the first time. Why is this considered fancy french stuff? It is embarrassingly easy! (Please ignore my air bubbles. This is freshly whisked. They did dissipate as it cooled.)



Tried two new restaurants this month. First was The Twisted Taco, which finally opened nearby. Not very impressed, WAAAAY too much black pepper in everything, particularly the rice, which was so spicy, even DH couldn't eat it. Also tried a new seafood place not too far from my parents' called Skipper's Fish Camp. Holy cow, that is some of the best fried shrimp I have *ever* had. Way yummy!

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I had to get a new case for my phone. Ended up with two that I really like!

What were this month's disappointments?
I really can't think of anything, which is nice!

What were my accomplishments this month?
I've crossed the half-way point for this version of the 101 Things in 1001 Days! hard to believe it's been that long. So much has happened! Also scored blog post number 1000 and crossed 3000 tweets (could have been late April or early May on that one, not sure which). Man, I'm chatty! Also made cake from scratch and ganache for the first time, as mentioned previously.

What were Luke's accomplishments this month?






Luke can now tie his shoes all by himself! We started working on it, as mentioned last month, but I could not get him over the very last "put it under and pull" step. I told his Pre-K teacher we were working on it, and in less than a week, she had him doing it completely on his own. "You're the one who got him started," she told me. Yeah, is that like "you loosened the jar lid"? LOL But regardless, he can do it, and he is *so* proud of himself! He literally told nearly everyone we saw for over a week. He also earned the Toy Story LEGOs we've been holding as a reward. Yay Luke!

Luke has also officially finished Pre-K. So hard to believe it's over already and he will be in "real school" starting in August. He will be working on reading with his main Pre-K teacher over the summer (with Ms. Autumn, on right; Ms. Tiffany on left). Still hammering out the details on that one. Summer is shaping up to be awfully busy so far!



We measured him using the doctor's office scale at Mom's office over Memorial Day weekend. With shoes, he measured 47.5 inches (1.2 m) & 54 lbs (24.5 kg)! We also bought him size 3 shoes when we got back (equal to the following women's sizes: US 5, UK 3, AUS 5, EU 35), but that was technically in June.

Anything else noteworthy to record?
Can't really think of anything!

Monthly Round Up courtesy of Katie the Scrapbook Lady.

Currently feeling: sweet

1 comment:

  1. Um, share please the cupcake recipe! I love cupcakes, which is funny, because I don't really like cakes:-) I would also love to know your tricks about making ganache. Good for you for cooking such wonderful yumminess!

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!