Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First Post-Melanoma Check

I had my first skin checkup today since the melanoma incident. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that there is a higher than average number of redheads sitting in the dermatology waiting room than you would usually find in the general population? LOL Everything looks fine. She didn't even find anything to biopsy or remove, and she complimented me for having made it through an entire Atlanta summer with virtually no tan. "Look at that beautiful pale skin!" Yeah, well, I still have a *little* bit of a tan (i.e. my arms aren't as pale as, say, my stomach, which never sees sunlight), but she was very pleased, which is all that really matters. I have to go back in 4-6 months, and if she doesn't find anything to remove at that visit, I can go into "maintenance mode."

She did, however, change her mind about the frequency of my maintenance visits. Originally I was told that I could eventually go to a one year cycle, if I could make it three years without having to have anything removed. After seeing me (and my ghostly yet freckled skin) again, she's decided that I simply have to be checked every six months for the rest of my life. ::sigh:: It's a bit of a pain, but certainly better than the alternative.

Currently feeling: like people need sunglasses to look at me!

1 comment:

  1. So pleased for you Erin! And I agree that biannual checks add to the feeling of security :)

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!