Monday, October 29, 2007

The door is locked

A way-too-early-to-be-awake haiku:

Bedroom door is locked.
Child screaming and banging.
No one is asleep.

If you haven't yet, please read my previous post before you think I am absolutely the worst mother in the world. I am, but at least I have my reasons.

I was hoping last night was just a fluke. He woke up at 3:30 AM last night, and just like the "new and improved" bedtime routine of the past several evenings, it took us well over an hour to get him back in bed and asleep. Boy, was I stupid to think it was a one time thing. Tonight, he woke up at 1:30 AM. It is now 2:30 AM. We've tried everything in the last hour to get him back in bed. Nothing has worked. I just went in, told him this would be the last time, said "I love you, Luke. I'll see you in the morning," turned the lock, closed the door, and started the same 20 minute timer that we used nearly two-and-a-half years ago to let him cry it out. He has been screaming, crying, and banging on the door ever since. It has been 8 minutes. If the cops do not show up because the neighbors called them and accused us of torturing our child, it will be a surprise. If I don't have to take him to the doctor for x-rays on his hands in the morning, it will be a miracle. (In both cases, I can only hope I'm kidding.)

The door is locked. And no one is sleeping.

Currently feeling: miserable

1 comment:

  1. When trying to help us with Marcus' sleeping issue, one thing the early intervention teacher told me was that if you do have close neighbours who are going to hear and worry/interfere, go over to see them first and explain what's going on so that they know and don't call the police in the middle of the night. It might be worth considering.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!