Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A terrible night's sleep

But I guess that's a good thing, since sleep was actually involved (as opposed to Sunday night, where I didn't go to sleep until after 5 AM). Once we locked the door and he got quiet, he stayed asleep until just after 6 AM this morning. I'm not sure if that is a promising sign, or just being flat exhausted from losing 3 hours sleep Sunday night due to being up 1:30-4:30.

I, on the other hand, felt like I had a newborn again. I couldn't really get into a deep sleep because I kept waiting for the screaming to start. From 11-3, I woke up every half hour like clockwork. At 3, he had a coughing spell and I was convinced that was going to be it, but he slept right through it (or at least didn't react if he woke up, which I find unlikely). Once that was over, I realized that he was probably good and asleep until morning (whenever that might be), so I did sleep a little better. I only woke up hourly instead of half-hourly after that, until just after 6 when he woke up screaming. That's okay. I can handle 6 AM, if it means he will stay quiet and in his room from the time he goes down until that point. DH, however, may need to adjust his schedule. He was still home when Luke woke up and had to rush out the door before we came downstairs so Luke wouldn't see him!

Somehow, I highly doubt this is the end of it. I really think him staying asleep all night like that was a fluke, a result of missing so much sleep in the drama that was Sunday night. Plus we have the time change to contend with this weekend and the "ruining of the routine" that will result from Thanksgiving travel. I see a very long winter in my future. With the time change, I'm hoping we can just keep bedtime where it is as far as his biorhythms are concerned, meaning it will switch from 8:30 to 7:30 as of Sunday. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I can try. With Thanksgiving, I have no idea what to do. We will be switching him to a "big boy bed" this week, which only leaves us 3 weeks to settle into a new routine before being gone nearly a week to my parents. That usually whacks him out a bit under normal circumstances. Heaven only knows what will happen this year. Regardless, I'm sure you'll hear about it.

In the meantime, the next you can expect to hear from me is tomorrow evening: a Halloween post with pictures!

Currently feeling: tired but some better, for now

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!