Friday, September 28, 2012

2012 Fall TV Premieres


Clip art of the television is public domain from WPClipart.com

I am just staggered that it is already time for the 2012 Network Fall TV Premieres. Where did the year go? It always seems like, once we get to my birthday (late July), the rest of the year is pretty much scheduled out and nearly over. School starts in August, then Labor Day, Luke's birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and suddenly it's New Year's. At least we should have some interesting things to watch through November sweeps. We're mainly sticking with the old faithfuls: Dancing With the Stars, Castle, NCIS, NCIS: LA, Criminal Minds, CSI, Person of Interest, CSI: NY, and The Mentalist. We are giving a few new series a shot, though. Here are my thoughts after the pilot episodes.

Vegas was... interesting. I love Dennis Quaid, and I quite like Carrie Anne Moss, too. I was afraid she was just going to be the gangster's girl or something, but she's actually the ADA, which is nice considering it's a period piece and that would have been extremely rare for the times. I hope they give her a little more to do in the upcoming episodes besides trade quips with the new sheriff (not that that's not fun), but I'm not sure we'll be watching. Might give it one more try, but the pilot was a bit too much for me, just too "rough" for my tastes (Dennis Quaid or no), and I don't like seeing Michael Chiklis as the heavy (he's good at it, but I really like him and don't want him to be the bad guy).

Elementary was quite good, once I got the hang of his accent (I don't usually have difficulty with accents, but his bothered me for a while; thankfully, he slowed his speech a bit as the episode progressed). Though I haven't seen her in a lot of things, I've always liked Lucy Liu, and I think they have some good chemistry together as people without it being sexual (yet; I'm sure it's (sadly) just a matter of time). I saw a few commercials/previews for the show over the summer and I was concerned, but I actually enjoyed it much more than I expected to. We'll definitely keep it on the slate for now.

We thought about Revolution, but after keeping the pilot on the DVR but unwatched for nearly 2 weeks, we just deleted it. We watch plenty of television as it is, plus Mythbusters will be starting back in October, so there's really no need to attempt a third new show. If it's that good, we can pick it up/make it up later.

So, what new shows are you watching this year? What do you think so far?
Currently feeling: ready to watch

2 comments:

  1. We started Elementary a bit late (failed to preset the DVR and happened across the premiere 15 minutes in). K is skeptical.. she dearly loves Sherlock. Otherwise, we're just juggling all our favorites (Haven, Supernatural, DWTS, Fringe, Grimm, The Voice) primarily. We are going to start Once Upon A Time to catch up to the new season and we're just a few episodes from being current on Dr. Who :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also skeptical of Elementary...it was a little crasser than I expected. But we are big Jonny Lee Miller (and Lucy Liu!) fans, so we'll stick it out another couple episodes. We are loving Revolution. Sword fights! References to The Numbers! Running through the woods! Scruffy nerf herders with questionable morals being forced to Do The Right Thing! SWORD FIGHTS!!! Yeah, we're all in. We're also trying Arrow, which had a better premiere than I expected.

    We are devastated that Person of Interest isn't available ANYWHERE (for purchase or otherwise), since we missed the first episode. We have a friend who may let us come over and watch it off his DVR. Still need to find a way to catch up on Grimm. Otherwise, DWTS, Castle (!omigoshhowgoodisthisnow!), Fringe, Once Upon a Time, Glee (fairly over it).

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!