Monday, February 02, 2009

2009 Super Bowl Movie Trailer Review

As soon as the first commercial break of the Super Bowl appeared last night, DH pipes up with, "What? You aren't going to keep a running commentary on the movie commercials on your blog?" So, keep in mind, this was my husband's idea; if you don't like it, blame him! LOL Also keep in mind that I am running a low-grade fever, so forgive me if I seem a little cranky and blase. Hey, I just realized this is sort-of a mini summer preview. I should probably start working on that for my Movie Musings readers.

BTW, Luke is convinced that you score a "shutdown." DH is trying to decide if he is supposed to feel like a failure as a father.

* G.I. Joe - Not bad looking. I never really watched the cartoon. Some of the character names are familiar, but that's about it. DH watched *and* had the action figures. He says it looks like an interesting take on the premise. Anything with Ray Park gets our attention. I can't imagine that we won't see it.

* Angels and Demons - Hmm... didn't help you much at all with the plot, did it? Looks like more action than the last one, but replacing plot with action isn't necessarily a good thing (not necessarily a bad thing either). I've read both books (Angels and Demons comes *before* Da Vinci Code, BTW), and A&D was a much better book, IMO. Let's see how they do with the movie.

* Year One - "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

* Fast and Furious - So what does it say about the careers of these two men that they have had to return to the movies that launched their careers because they no longer have careers? What is this, #3 or #4 in the franchise? I'll admit, I haven't seen any of the films in the series, though I have always wanted to see the original. Perhaps it is time to remedy that.

* Land of the Lost - Well, I think Will Farrell is the right guy to take on that particular task. I am not generally a Will Farrell fan, and this looks to be pretty typical for his films, so probably not for me, unless it gets favorable recommendations from people who know me well. It looks pretty well done for this type of thing, though.

* Star Trek - My opinion of this movie has not changed much since the first trailer. It looks like a good movie, but it doesn't look like a Trek. Some would say that is a good thing, given the current state of the franchise (let's not discuss the last couple of movies, shall we?). But Trek has a certain feel to it, and I'm not sure this is it. I'm trying to reserve judgement, but I am also trying not to get my hopes up. Guess we'll see.

* Up - It's a Pixar, so we'll see it. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I don't quite see where they can go with it. Of course, I said that about Finding Nemo, too, and we see how poorly that movie did. (Note the dripping sarcasm.)

* Monsters vs. Aliens - Okay, this preview showed me exactly what I needed to know. I know that Dreamworks animated films tend to be more crude than I care for, but up until tonight, it looked like MvA might be okay. Tonight's 3-D commercial says not so much. If we're desperate for something to see, we might, but I doubt we'll get to that point, and it is even more doubtful we'll take Luke. Up is still the most likely candidate for that from what I've seen.

* Race to Witch Mountain - Okay, doesn't have a whole lot to do with the original film, as far as I can tell. That may well be a good thing. Escape to Witch Mountain is such a cult classic that trying to redo it close to the original would be a mistake. I definitely like Dwayne Johnson, so this is a maybe. Depends on how crowded the rest of our summer movie viewing schedule gets.

* Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen - Certainly not the most helpful commercial. Looks as expensive and loud as the first, with some bigger 'bots. That's about all I can say for sure. Still, we'll most likely see it, just cuz.

Sadly, of the non-movie commercials, NBC had the best ones themselves, usually the Heroes ones, although the "why are we speaking that way" Priceline commercial was pretty funny.

Currently feeling: ready for summer!

1 comment:

  1. Of these, I want to watch Up, Angels and Demons and Monsters vs. Aliens. I haven't read Angels and Demons so now I'm in a dilemma on whether to read first or not. Usually reading first ruins the movie for me LOL.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!