Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Titanic: Blood and Steel



I've had a few people ask me if I watched this miniseries. I did, but not until the entire series had aired. I had honestly forgotten about it, and I happened to remember a day or two before the aired every episode over a recent weekend, so I got to record them all. It was quite interesting, though ironically, it's not really about the ship. This miniseries is as much about Titanic as Indiana Jones is about WWII. It is mentioned, it certainly affects the things that are going on, but that's not really what it's "about" per se (not the way that, say, Schindler's List or The Pianist is about WWII). That is simply the setting for the stories the writers wanted to tell. It is much more about the scope of Ireland at the time and the struggles of her people, politically, religiously, and societally (not sure that's a word, but I'm going to use it).

I watched it all over the course of about 3 days. The first few episodes were quite good. They started dragging a bit in the middle and didn't share enough time among the various characters, IMO. And for goodness sake, if you're going to bill Neve Campbell and Chris Noth so highly, they should have more face time in the series! I appreciate that they were being touted because they were two of only three names I really recognized (Derek Jacobi had a good bit of time on camera), but still, I felt like that was a huge bate and switch. If you're a Titanic fan or interested in the politics of turn of the century Ireland, you might enjoy it. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth so many hours. It's quite good, just not great.

Currently feeling: slightly disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment

My apologies for not allowing comments from Anonymous users. I was getting way too much spam. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!